How Much Buttercream Does A Recipe With 5Lbs Of Sugar Make?

Decorating By lauras231279 Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 6:07pm by lauras231279

lauras231279 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauras231279 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 5

I know this is a really dumb question, but I am going to make a cake which will need about 12 cups BC and I need to order the hi ratio shortening online as I live in the UK and can't find a supplier here. I am trying to work out how much I will need! HELP.

SO if I follow sugarshacks recipe for BC, does this make 5qts of BC?

Sorry to sound so dumb!

4 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 5

i think she uses a 5qt mixer bowl and its pretty full. I know when i make my icing using 4lbs of pwd sugar its just under the top by about an inch. But the icing amount weighs 96oz (i like to weigh things, except myself!!!)

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

i think she uses a 5qt mixer bowl and its pretty full. I know when i make my icing using 4lbs of pwd sugar its just under the top by about an inch. But the icing amount weighs 96oz (i like to weigh things, except myself!!!)

and how many cups would that be??? About 12 for my recipe and I use 4lbs

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 5

4 cups are in 1 qt. I have found you can use 1 lb of sugar for each quart that your mixer holds. (5 lbs sugar for a 5 qt mixer). SO... you will end up with 20 cups in your 5 qt mixer. Should be more than enough. HTH! icon_lol.gif

lauras231279 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauras231279 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 5

thanks so much! It helps to work out how much to order.

Quick question, my mum (whose house I will be baking at) doesn't have a stand mixer. Can you make buttercream with a hand mixer, or a food processor?

L

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%