Cake And Cookies?

Baking By CMTorie Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm by luv2bake6

CMTorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMTorie Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:59am
post #1 of 11

Do any of you tackle elaborate cookies AND cakes for the same event? Or do you stick with one or the other?

If you do both, is there a particular way you keep them both fresh, yet on time, LOL

10 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 11

I do..........and everytime I ask myself "why????" lol.

Seriously though, I just did 7 mini cupcake bouquets (210 mini cc w/ a bc roses on each one that covered the whole surface of the cupcake) and 50 mod mom cookies with cello bags, that I had to cut and reseal because I couldn't find any that were long enough and narrow at the same time.........plus they had scrapbooking paper tags that I had to cut, then a smaller brown piece that was cut and then edged with decorative scissors, and an address label that was printed out with floral pattern and message. Not to mention they ordered 50 chocolate cups to serve sorbet in......I had to paint 5 layers of chocolate (1 layer at a time of course) into a cupcake liner, and once all 5 layers were on and hardened you peel away the liner and you're left with a hollow chocolate cup!!

I also had 3 sheet cakes due the day before. I spent thurs., fri, sat. (bouquets and such were due on Sunday) up til 3:30 am and then was back up at 7:00 am........kids had no school friday..so all three days were spent with 3 kids in the house running wild!! lol

it can be done!!

Now, about freshness. Here is what I did. I baked the cookies on Thurs, decorated on fri. packaged on Sat, delivered on Sunday. I tasted a leftover cookie on Tues that had not been packaged and it still tasted good!

The cupcakes in my case.....I baked on Friday, decorated sat. delivered sund.

The choc. cups were done during the day frid. and then put in plastic 6 pack cupcake holders until Sunday.

HTH

Also, if you do sugar cookies with antonia's royal icing.......you can layer them between sheets of wax paper on a cookie sheet, then wrap the whole sheet in several layers of plastic wrap and freeze for weeks beforehand, pull them out the day before you need them and let them come to room temp. (still wrapped) and they're perfect and FRESH! (the number 5 cookies below, were frozen for 2 weeks and thawed before this pic was taken)
LL
LL
LL

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 11

KHalstead-I just love seeing your cookies. They always look so perfect for me.

I've never per-say have done allot of cookies/cakes for one event/birthday, but I have dont a couple. This weekend I'll be doing a tent cake (6''), 12 cupcakes to look like little popcorn bags, and 12 ballon cookies. I like when customers order matching party favors.

CMTorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMTorie Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 11

KHalstead your cookies are beautiful!!! So, I can seriously bake, decorate, and freeze sugar cookies and they will thaw beautifully and not taste funky? OMG, that is like the answer to my upcoming party.

I'm doing a 4 tiered topsy-turvy cake (with the top layer being ball shaped, still have to learn how to fondant that, LOL), 40-50 popcorn cupcakes, and I want to do a cookie platter (I posted the cookies I want to do in another question).

How far in advance have you frozen yours and still held the quality?

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 11

khalstead, you do amazing work. I'm in awe with your cupcake bouquets! Just gorgeous. And your cookies are just adorable. I'm a huge fan.

luv2bake6 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 11

BTW, how do you do those great scrapbook pieces that you seal onto your cookies? Do you have a special program that you print on scrapbook paper? Do you measure your cello bags to get the exact length? They just look so professional. Would love a tutorial.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 11

When my daughter had her quinceanera, of course I made everything, from the cake, the punch fountain, little cookies (biscochitos) for the tables, ham and cheese trays, and about 150 butterfly cookies as favors.
We started the butterfly cookies and the biscochitos about 7-10 days before the party. We baked, decorated and then wrap the cookies, that way they stayed fresh.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

BTW, how do you do those great scrapbook pieces that you seal onto your cookies? Do you have a special program that you print on scrapbook paper? Do you measure your cello bags to get the exact length? They just look so professional. Would love a tutorial.

Here's what I do.

I did have to cut and reseal those particular bags (just because I didn't plan far enough in advance and used bags that were available), put the cookie in the bag, then I used my food sealer to seal the end of the bag as well (just because it keeps them fresh longer).

Those cookie labels were just pink w/ white polka dot scrapbooking paper purchased at AC Moore. I measured the bag (it was just shy of 4" across) so I cut out 4" squares of scrapbooking paper, folded them in half and then put the paper over the end of the cookie in the bag and used 2 staples to staple the pink paper to the bags, then I took a 4" x 1-1/2" strip of the choc. brown paper and cut just the edge w/ decorative scissors (also at AC Moore for $1) and then used double sided tape to secure that overtop of the staples so it has a nice finished look!

The adhesive tag, was just an avery label that I made at avery.com and added a floral frame and then the writing in the center, printed them out and stuck them onto the cookie papers.

When I got going in assembly line fashion it took me just over an hour from start to finish to cut, seal, bag, seal, cut paper, staple paper, cut strip, secure strip, add label for 50 cookies!

luv2bake6 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 11

Very creative! Thanks!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 11

Here's a tutorial for packaging cookies:

http://glorioustreats.blogspot.com/2010/02/pretty-packaging-for-cookies.html

I found it surfing flickr....

luv2bake6 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm