Need Help Selecting Cake Supplies Please!

Decorating By CutieMcCakes Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 6:13pm by CutieMcCakes

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:47am
post #1 of 6

I am starting to build my cake supply "arsenal" for wedding cakes and unusual birthday cakes. I am new to CC and just joined GSA after seeing everyone's great reviews. I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on the things I must have in my "arsenal". I have 3 questions right now.

1. What is the most recommended fondant to buy from GSA?
2. What are the most commonly used petal dust/luster dust/ and powdered food colors that I should have on hand? Which brand do you recommend?
3. I am stuck between getting molds or veiners for the gumpaste. Suggestions?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

5 replies
DreamMaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamMaker2 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #2 of 6

Hi "Cutie"!
Welcome to CC! I'm rather new here myself. I'm sure the rest of the experienced gals in here will be more than happy to share their (top notch) opinions.

I, myself am having a field day with the new world of gumpaste flowers. I've done a lot of research to find the best prices on supplies. I buy petal and luster dust from www.lusterdust.com (a division of Jester's Party Supply). They carry the CSA brand and have the cheapest price by far! (only $1.99 each) And shipping is only $6 - no handling fees like some others. They are based near Orlando, FL. I always receive my shipments from them within 3 days.

Molds or veiners? BOTH! Now that I've experienced the fun of making gumpaste flowers, I want every mold, veiner and cutter on the face of the earth!
Happy Shopping!

HTH - Cheley

CutieMcCakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:15am
post #3 of 6

i suppose I don't know the difference between when I would use a veiner vs a mold? when would i use one over the other? If you have any other suggestions or ideas of things i must have in the arsenal, i would appreciate it!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 6

I recently purchased the JEM veiner stick #12 - it's received a lot of great reviews by some of the great cake artists - tonedna and Jennifer Dontz to name a couple. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'm anxious to see how it works.

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 6

Regarding your fondant question...Satin Ice is really good...easy to work with, tastes alright, and isn't as expensive as some of the others. I've enjoyed working with it! Have fun!

CutieMcCakes Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 6

where can I get this veiner stick? I wasn't able to find it. do you suggest any molds in particular?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%