How Would I Attach Pearls To Buttercream Or Fondant?

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 3:00pm by Jack031

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 12:59am
post #1 of 16

I have been asked to do a tiered wedding cake. They want it covered 3/4 in pearls of different sizes.

They really wanted buttercream, but I was concerned about attaching the pearls. Afraid, that if my icing is too thick, they will sink in and bubble up around them.

On the other hand, not too great at doing large areas of fondant smoothly. I usually make MMF, but have a lot of problems with bubbles and tearing. Most of it will be covered in pearls, but the bottom would need to look really good.

If I do the fondant, should I order the pre-made, I want it to taste good, and also, should I use piping gel to stick the pearls to the cake?

I know this is long, thanks for sticking with me.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Vicki

15 replies
monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:08am
post #2 of 16

What recipe do you use for MMF? I always use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF (recipe here on CC) and it works great every time. I do add about 2 tsp of glycerin, but that is the only modification I make.

Sorry I can't help with the pearl issue.

Good luck!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:12am
post #3 of 16

I have done it in both. When I did the cake in BC I simply just put the pearls into the BC and it stuck pretty well. My pearls were not too small where they could get hidden into the cake. Maybe buying pearls that are not too small as opposed to small ones. I suppose you could also put a little bit of water on the pearl and attach if using a crusting BC. When I did a fondant covered cake I put a little bit of piping gel where the pearl was to be placed and it worked like a charm. You could also use a little bit of royal if you like.
As far as fondant...I always buy the premade stuff because I dont have time to make it myself. And also want to have the same consistency all the time. However, people that make MMF all the time pretty much have it down to where they can get the consistency the same. I just prefer the bought stuff...I have tried both satin ice and fondx.

Here is the links to my cakes. First one is with fondant, second is with BC...mind you, the BC was not my best work.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1593709

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1496346

VS8894 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #4 of 16

Monet,

I have used Rhonda's Ultimate....I've been using just the one where you use powdered sugar, marshmallows and water. Maybe that's the problem. What does the glycerin do?

Thanks for the help.

Normita,

Beautiful cakes. The only thing I worry about is that they will be clusters of pearls, kinda worried that the icing will be pushed up between them..I think I'm going to make a small one and see how it goes with the buttercream.

Thanks for the ideas,

Vicki

monet1895 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:36am
post #5 of 16

A friend suggested the glycerin. It adds pliability and flexibility. I noticed a difference in my MMF after I started using it. It might help w/ your tearing issue? Also, do you always roll in one direction? If you roll your pin back and forth over the fondant you might be more prone to getting the bubbles. HTH.

VS8894 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:09am
post #6 of 16

Great suggestions......I will try the glycerin....if I can find it.

lis73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lis73 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:26am
post #7 of 16

They sell it at both Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Not positive, but possibly even Walmarto. HTH

VS8894 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:33am
post #8 of 16

Ok, thanks. I will check those places.

Vicki

monet1895 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:51am
post #9 of 16

Yeah, and it's cheap. It's a Wilton product found in the caking aisle, and it comes in a little bottle just like the small bottles of Wilton flavorings.

VS8894 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks,

I will definitely try that with Rhonda's Ultimate and see if it helps with the bubbles and tearing.

Vicki

P.S. Have you ever been able to use her fondant the same day/evening you made it, or do you always wait till the next day?

And what is the shelf life of it, if you leave it at room temperature?

monet1895 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 16

I have used hers the same day, but I do let it rest for a while/ few hours.

As for shelf life, I was told a week at room temp, but can be frozen for up to 3 months, and then thawed overnight. I'm curious to see if others chime in on this.

monet1895 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:27pm
post #12 of 16

Vicki~

Sorry...just remembered something else. I realized that earlier I said glycerin was the only modification, BUT...lol. I usually end up adding about 1 more cup of PS to the recipe. The recipe calls for 2 lbs/ 7 cups, but I seem to end up at about 8, or so. For me 7 still feels a little soft. When it's time to cover your cake, you can put sections of the MMF in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time to get it soft and kneadable. Just be careful b/c it can get VERY HOT, but this really helps me get the kneading process going.

(If you haven't already, you can look at my (very few) pics on here. I used Rhonda's recipe for all except for the wine bottle.)

VS8894 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:31am
post #13 of 16

Monet1895

Great cakes! I am going to be doing a baby cake similar to yours. Do you have any tips on the stripes?

Thanks again for all you help, I will be trying it!

Vicki

monet1895 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:04am
post #14 of 16

My only tip for the stripes is that after I had the stripe on the cake, I used the non-bristle end of a paint brush to nudge the stripe straight. For the stripes that did not have the zig zag I used the whole length/ handle of the brush and used that to push the stripe as a whole unit to get it straight. Good luck! Let me know how it goes!

VS8894 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:24am
post #15 of 16

Thanks, I will!

Jack031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jack031 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:00pm
post #16 of 16

For pearls you could use the pre-made pearls and then just stick them on with piping gel either in buttercream or fondant, thats the easiest way to do it. Also, for your fondant try using Fondarific fondant its the best fondant out there and very easy to use compared to other fondant and its goes a long way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%