Lemon Cake That Isn't Just Lemon Buttercream Or Lemon Curd

Baking By imartsy Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 6:40am by caramelchef

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 7

I'm looking for a good recipe for a lemon cake - one that does taste like lemon. I'm looking for something that doesn't get its "lemon" taste from lemon curd or lemon buttercream - I want the actual cake to be lemon flavored.

I'd like a from-scratch recipe. The Duncan Hines lemon cake is good, but I was looking for something from scratch.

I did try a "lemonade" cake recipe once which used frozen lemonade concentrate - but it came out tasting like baking soda or something.... I don't know what went wrong but it was awful.

Thanks!

6 replies
TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 7

I just use a white butter or pound cake recipe and sub some lemon juice, lemon oil, or/and lemon zest for some of the liquid.

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 7

Ha, that's exactly what I just came on here to search for today. Have you checked in the recipe section? It's where I'm headed now.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 7

some c/cers post to get ina gartens recipe from her site. i have printed it . but have not used it yet. the ones that says they have, says it is really good. paula deen has a lemon filling recipe also. i haven,t tried her. but that is the way i make my lemon filling anyway. hth lots of people use their butter cake recipe and add the lemon juice from real lemons ,etc. and zest. that would be great too. also a scratch white cake. using lemon juice etc. would be great too.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 7

I tried a cherry extender recipe from this site....starting with a white cake mix. It called for a dram of Lorann oil, cherry. I would imagine they sell it in lemon. It made a huge different. Nice cherry taste. I have been wanting to experiment with the candy oils - huge on flavor.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 7

actually the lemon flavoring cooks out during baking, at least that's what I've been told. Maybe try a lemon syrup to brush it with so you could try that. I did that and you could definitely taste the lemon flavoring.

caramelchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caramelchef Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:40am
post #7 of 7

there is a really good recipe of a lemon cake on exclusivelyfood.com
I have tried it and the flavors are really strong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%