Transforming Leftover Buttercream Into Strawberry Buttercrea

Baking By careylynn Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 12:05am by careylynn

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 12

Is there a way that I can take my leftover buttercream (crusting) and turn it into strawberry buttercream or a faux mousse?? Do I just add strawberry perserves? How about adding some strawberry gelatin powder? I doubt I can get a mousse like texture, but thought I'd ask anyways..so I'd be happy with a strawberry buttercream. Any ideas???

11 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 12

i would use strawberry spread(all natural) or jam. or strawberry puree. hth

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 12

I'm not sure...I saw your topic and thought I'd at least give you a bump until some one who knew the answer could respond. I've added strawberry koolaid to buttercream before you could try just a tiny bit to see. I just bought some lorann strwberry flavoring maybe you could whip some of that in. Other than that i don't know. Good luck.

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 12

I just add strawberry extract to my buttercream recipe to get strawberry buttercream. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but that works for me, and couldn't be simpler. Just add a little extract at a time until you get the amount of strawberry flavor you are looking for.

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 12

I always use icing fruits, they're perfect for this application!
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=619093
One of these containers last for a very long time, and a little goes a long way!

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 12

is it for filling? sure. i don't like the jelly type fillings so i alway just add the jam/jelly to completed buttercream for fillings. everyone loves it!

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 12

Icing fruits are intended to be used along with either buttercream , whipped cream, or some other filling... they are SUPER CONCENTRATED flavors with pieces of fruit in them. It may be ok to spread a VERY thin layer of the icing fruits onto a cake, but I wouldn't put it on too thick!

saycheese Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgleason

Icing fruits are intended to be used along with either buttercream , whipped cream, or some other filling... they are SUPER CONCENTRATED flavors with pieces of fruit in them. It may be ok to spread a VERY thin layer of the icing fruits onto a cake, but I wouldn't put it on too thick!

tee hee...sorry...thanks, i was asking the OP if she was using the buttercream for filling. icon_redface.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 12

I mix 1/2 and 1/2 strawberry sleeve filling w/ buttercream and it does get a nice fluffy consistency to it (I call it, strawberry and cream filling)..the raspberry is actually one of my biggest sellers (next to cheesecake mousse)

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 12

I mix in seedless jam, I just eyeball it and taste it until it seems right.

saycheese Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

the raspberry is actually one of my biggest sellers

mmmmm....that's THE best! thumbs_up.gif

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 12:05am
post #12 of 12

Thank you everyone!! I absolutely love this site for reasons like this! Such wonderful people with genius ideas! Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%