Does This Help To Boost Business?

Business By CakesbyMichele Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 1:22am by bfranzen

CakesbyMichele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMichele Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone sold baked goods/cakes at a farmer's market? Is this worth it to advertise and get your name out? Any advise if you have done it and recommend it?

5 replies
Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 6

The thought has crossed my mind. I have heard of bakers doing this. Im kinda shy and I dont know how calm I would be standing outside of a farmers market.

cookiebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiebear Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 6

The results were not what I had worked for. I had sold with the end result being that my name would get out, that people would buy from me outside the market and buy year round. Neither worked. I worked like crazy throughout the week, people did buy and said they loved my products. Many times people wanted things at a reduced price and would boldly ask for that. I had still products left over at the end of each market day, in which I ended up having to place in the freezer for the following week to sell at a reduced price. Lots of rush work with little favorable results. Since the last market we had at the end of Oct last year, I have had zero calls. I am really thinking it over hard as to whether I want to retry again this year. Was fun, did get out in the fresh air and got to bake but again, not the results I wanted.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 6

I have not done this. However, a local lady who appears to be successful started this way. I would imagine it would depend on who attends your farmers market. When I lived in TN the farmers market was a staple & year round. So, regionally, it was more popular than where I'm located in OH.

Hope this post gets you some "hands on" responses....

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 6

I tried it and it didn't work at all.

the farmer's market is seasonal here, and folks can be cheap. I would at least scope it out first. I have heard of people who have been successful with it in other areas. See what type of crowd the market draws. Are they mainly looking for the fresh fruits/veggies or handmade items? If it is handmade artisan type products, what are average prices? how many other bakers are already there?

Just some things to consider, do some research and then decide. HTH! icon_smile.gif

bfranzen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfranzen Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:22am
post #6 of 6

My bakery (home, licensed) does more than just cakes, so I take other baked goods to the farmer's market with pretty good success. I take cinnamon rolls, several kinds of cookies, scotcheroos, quick breads, wheat bread, whole grain muffins, etc., during the summer.

I've "subbed" in the indoor market and brought some of the same stuff but also some mini cakes as well. Valentine weekend, I sold all my cakes plus I could have sold at least 8-10 more, based on the number of people who saw the cakes and asked if I had any more like that. I think the holiday had something to do with that, so I am planning on going the weekend before Easter with some dummies and having people pre-order for Easter weekend. During the summer, it just gets too hot to have cakes outside, so I haven't done that.

You'll have your "regulars" at the market that are only there to buy fresh veggies and then you'll develop your regulars who come to you each week for some goodies and then you'll have people who will occasionally stop by. I'm just always friendly and try to have something to say as people walk by.

One thing you have to consider is that "time is money" and there can be a lot of sitting around at the market to make a little money. This summer, we are only going to go 2 times a month instead of every Saturday and encourage people to place orders for the other two weekends. I'll gladly meet them at the market with an order but I don't have time to sit around for 5 hours on Saturdays this summer. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%