Molding With Rkt

Decorating By AnotherCreation Updated 18 May 2010 , 7:26pm by Carla9900

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 20

Ok so I am about to make rkt to use for molding. I have a few questions. I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP! Is it best to let the rkt cool to room temperature? Cool down in the fridge? or Mold while warm??? Help I'm lost! I'm going to attempt to mold a face out of the rkt and cover in fondant so I will need it to be as smooth as possible. Should I make the fondant thicker than I normally do. TIA for any help.....

19 replies
RosieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieC Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 20

Might not be the answer to your question but thougth I'd throw this in...I have only used RKT one time to make the head of my ladybug and I used the pre-made RKT...worked perfectly...used Satin Ice fondant...not very thick at all....just had to work with it til I got it all smooth.

AnotherCreation Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 20

Thanks RosieC I'm guessing if you used premade then I should just let it cool all the way and then try and go for it. Wish me luck my husband told someone "SURE" she can make a model of Marilyn Monroe. Should be interesting to say the least icon_smile.gif

RosieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieC Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 20

Oh my goodnes...well, good luck with Marilyn...you must be pretty talented if your husband said you could do it!

AnotherCreation Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 20

lol. Just because my husband said I could do it does not make it so. I am definently a newbie and this is a real big challenge. I'm trying to have fun doing it though so I don't get a BIG head ache. Thanks for the well-wishes I think im gonna need it icon_lol.gif

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 20

I always use the premade and it molds easily. Just do a lot of squishing (very technical term). Sometimes I put a coat of buttercream over it before putting on the fondant. You could try using ganache instead. Once it sets up you can do some molding in the chocolate and then put the fondant over it. It would be a very smooth surface.

bhv333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bhv333 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 12:17am
post #7 of 20

I make my own, mold it while it's a little warm then paint it with royal icing once it's cool. The royal icing helps smooth out the surface.

AnotherCreation Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:17am
post #8 of 20

Thanks Brendy. I will try the royal Icing. I did manage to get her face molded. I did a run thru on painting her face and it came out ok. I'm doing the real deal in the morning

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:46am
post #9 of 20

i read in another thread to crush the rice bubbles up and it makes the sculpture smoother? good luck!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 20

Thanks for the RI idea, Brendy, it sounds like exactly what I need (I'm a frustrated RKT user, too). I followed that other thread, noahsmummy, and one of the things that was mentioned in it was that crushing the Rice Krispies made the RKTs very heavy. Of course, depending on the size of the figure being made and the kind of cake it was being put on, that might not matter very much.

AnotherCreation Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:05pm
post #11 of 20

So I uploaded the pics of the Marilyn Cake. OMG it was soooooo hard. I am still very new at this!!!!!!! I am not sure how to put the pics on this post.......hmmm something else i need to learn

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 20

How do you fondant RKT? I've never done it before and will doing it for the first time at the end of this month. Do I just crumb coat and then wrap the fondant all the way around the treats? Do the bumps of the treats show through because I need it to be smooth.

AnotherCreation Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:15pm
post #13 of 20

TPA Cake girl. I used the royal icing and pored it over the treats and then put the fondant on when it was dry. You can look at my pics. The Marilyn Monroe cake her face was molded out of the rkt. I was scared it wasn't going to be smooth but it worked out ok

Marianna46 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 8:31am
post #14 of 20

Since I last posted here, I've taken two workshops on figures made with RKTs. Our teacher suggested that we use the ready-made ones, because they are easier to work with. She actually brought a plateful of the home-made variety to class, and it was a good deal harder than the commercial stuff. Once we got the shapes sculpted (mini shopping bags in one workshop and the open jewelry box with the engagement ring in it in the other one), we iced them with RI (a little thicker than normal) and let them dry. It made a really smooth coating -- after a little practice! -- and the fondant went on nicely. I'm so thrilled with this method that I've done several other things since.

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:47pm
post #15 of 20

Marianna,

Did you drape the fondant over the treats the same way you would do a cake, or did you wrap it around the treats? I'm only asking because I used RKT for the first time this past weekend on my Star Wars ship, and I ended up wrapping it. It just didn't seem like the best method.

Marianna46 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:07pm
post #16 of 20

Both, actually. The mini bags are wrapped - first a strip that covers one side, the top and the other side, then a wider strip that covers the back, bottom and front of the bag, leaving a little "lip" at both ends of the strip. The jewelry box was made in two pieces and they were both covered like a cake. I think it kind of depends on the shape you need to do. I´m sorry that I'm so behind in posting my pictures, but I'm hoping to catch up with it over the Easter break. I'll get pictures of these two things up as soon as I can, so that it will be more obvious what I'm talking about.

I'd be really happy to hear from those of you who do this a lot (I know you're out there and may of you must be following this thread). What do you do? Cover or wrap?

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:18am
post #17 of 20

When you say premade....are you talking about the individually wrapped ones you put in the kid's lunches?

Marianna46 Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:28pm
post #18 of 20

Yes, travmand, those are the ones. And it doesn't matter if they have little extras, like chips or drizzles: they still sculpt (excuse me, as msulli10 said, "squish", which indeed IS the technical term) into whatever your heart desires. I've since done a cake with a Michael Jackson theme which had a white hat with a black band on top. I made the crown of the hat from RKTs, but this time I iced it with ganache before I covered it with fondant (draped, this time). It was much easier than RI. Unfortunately, I can't really use buttercream under fondant where I live -really humid climate- because there's just enough moisture in it to melt my fondant. Like I said, REALLY humid!!! But I think it might be the best solution of all.

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:19pm
post #19 of 20

Marianna, Thanks....I'll post my creation the end of the month. I'm going to give this a try with a McQueen car.

Carla9900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carla9900 Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:26pm
post #20 of 20

I too, am not fond of RKT!! The one and only time i've used, it was a disaster. I threw it away. I was trying to make a Mario tube for the top of a cake. It was so bumpy, and very hard to sculpt. It was way to soft and hard at the same time - if that makes sense. I'm not able to sculpt it very well either.

I would like to try it again, but I have no clue what went wrong.

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%