Cheeseburger Cake Bun-Fondant Or Buttercream??

Decorating By MeredithLA Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 9:17pm by catlharper

MeredithLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeredithLA Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,
I am making a cheeseburger cake. I was planning to cover the bun in fondant. If so, how? Do I put the 6" cake on a cardboard round, cover the whole thing and then dowel it on top of the burger? I can't imagine trying to cover it without the board.

Or, PLAN B, should I just buttercream it?

5 replies
CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 6

Will you be airbrushing this cake??

CakeEvolution Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 6

Check out this.....HTH

David does some cool things!

They are the same video kinda, but one has MORE details/ behind the scenes...but for some reason it is loading slowly, so just try both

MeredithLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeredithLA Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 12:19am
post #4 of 6

I will not be airbrushing. Looking at his videos, I see he just fondants and puts it together with no cake board under the top bun. I'm nervous it may sag because my "burger" is 5" and my buns are 6". (No pun intended! Although it would be nice to have 6" buns...)

CakeEvolution Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 6

Check out Jeani's video, I believe her buns are 9in.... I am not sure if she is a member here, BUT she is super nice, so you can send her a question thru youtube, if you still need more help.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 6

Hi there,

I made my cheeseburger like the buns were their own layers/tiers so it would stack just like a real burger...bottom bun, meat, toppings (made out of fondant) then top bun. Mine was a jumbo size burger...like a real life sized one for six people, but if I were doing this as an 8 inch or larger burger I would use dowels and cake boards to seperate the layers. And yes, I used fondant on each layer. I made the bun color as close to real bun color as possible, made the meat layer a dark brown and then once it was all assembled I painted on the rest of the color to make it look like a real burger. I covered each layer in fondant and then stacked them before painting. The fun part was how many people walked right past it thinking it was really just one of the burgers they were serving at dinner that night! LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%