Hi Ratio Shortening

Decorating By Sweet_Treatz Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm by Sweet_Treatz

Sweet_Treatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treatz Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 6

Good Morning,

I am wonder if I purchased the right shortening? Can anyone help me please.

There is a wholesale store in my area and I did a special order for hi ratio shortening but when I went to pick it up yesterday i was unsure of what i had purchased because the label reads " Stabico" Heavy Duty Professional Deep frying shortening.
Please someone tell me is this the right thing or did I just throw away 50 bucks.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

5 replies
ncox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncox Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 6

I buy from a wholesale store in my area and the shortening I buy says it's for cakes, pastry and icings. It also says it has emulisfiers (sp?) as well. Maybe someone else can attest to what your lable says as far as is it okay for icings. Good Luck!!

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 6

I don't think so. Shortening in general has a really high smoking point so people will use it in deep fryers because it can get really really hot.

I don't think you have the right thing. Does it say anything about emulsifiers (again sp?) on the box? High ratio shortening is a high ratio of emulisfiers in it so it gives you a smoother mouth feel. If it doesn't say it on the box, I would return it.

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 6

My Hi-Ratio reads "Finest Vegetable Shortening"for cakes,icing and sweet doughs.I believe you got is what they use in restuarant deep fryers.The good news is you can make a lot of fried chicken! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 6

Nope, you absolutely have the completely wrong thing. I hope you can take it back.

Shortenings are formulated for specific uses. Hi ratio shortenings are formulated to hold an emulsion. The one you have is specifically formulated to remain as stable as possible at frying temperatures. Totally the wrong thing.

Sweet_Treatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treatz Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 6

thanks alot guys
I hope i can return it because we don't eat fried foods in my home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%