Edible Image On Gumpaste???

Decorating By Josie07 Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 3:13pm by Jack031

Josie07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Josie07 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 7

Can I take an edible image and lay it on a piece of slighty damp gumpaste and allow it to dry without damaging the image? I was thinking of taking an Elmo edible image and putting it on a piece of gumpaste, cutting it around Elmo, so that I can put it on the top of my daughter's cake as a centerpiece (standing up right due to gumpaste base) rather than laying if flat on buttercream. I was planning on covering entire cake with fondant.

Please let me know if this has ever been done or can be done. I don't have the skills to make Elmo from scratch so this was popped into my head as an alternate solution.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Josie.

6 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 7

Yes you can. I've done it a few times, they actually have an article here on how to do icing image placques.

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 7

If the item isn't going to be eaten, you could just print off a good quality color copy of the image, place it on gumpaste, cut around it and allow it to dry. I've done this several times w/ various signs I've done. I assume it would work with an edible image too, as long as you leave plenty of time for it to dry completely.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 7

I didn't use an edible image, but I used a scrapbooking sticker when I was doing tinkerbell. I rolled out my gumpaste and used my exacto knife and cut around the sticker, then I glued it on with some tylo glue (I did not remove the sticker from its backing), then attached a lollipop stick to the back after it had dried. I thought it worked well - it's in my photos.

Josie07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Josie07 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for all your suggestions!!! I actually found the article that KKC mentioned. It's exactly what I needed!!!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 7

I have done it with fondant and it worked great. Gumpaste would work the same way. Put the image on it once you flatten the gumpaste out and just cut right around it.

Jack031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jack031 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 7

Yes you can do it like that I have done it a lot of times very easy and useful technique!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%