Fondant Mosaic Pieces

Decorating By mmadrid1325 Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 8:38pm by gramofgwen

mmadrid1325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmadrid1325 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 9

I have seen some very nice cakes that use fondant mosaic pieces. I wanted to know how to make them. can anyone help please.

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 9

roll out fondant. Cut. Place.

Basically the same as glass or pottery mosaic. Break. Place.

mmadrid1325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmadrid1325 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:15am
post #3 of 9

Thank you I will try that.

kaylabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylabean Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 9

My daughter and I are making my sons wedding cake this summer and they want a brown mosaic look on the top and bottom layer. I was thinking of doing as you stated here about rolling out the fondant and cutting it up. But my daughter wants to use chocolate because it will taste better. I'm concerned that the chocolate would melt. Any ideas on this or maybe a good chocolate to use that wouldn't melt. The cake will be inside.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 9

How about candy clay?

kaylabean Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 9

I'm not familiar with candy clay. What form does it come in and does it taste good?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 9

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't made it with real chocolate, just Wilton discs. It tasted great, though, and was very easy to make and to work with:

Melt 14 oz. Wilton discs in the microwave. Stir in 1/3 cup clear corn syrup. When it forms a dough, knead it until smooth and wrap in plastic wrap twice and leave it at room temperature overnight. It will get very hard.

When you're ready to use it, knead a small amount at a time to soften it up a little. Roll it out and cut it just as you would fondant. HTH!

kaylabean Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks. That sounds easy enough and would taste better.

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 9

I made a groom's cake with the sides covered in a chocolate mosaic pattern. I took those Giant Hershey bars and broke them up by hand. The, with the smooth side up, I attached them to the sid sof the cake, which was covered in chocolate ganache, before the ganache was set. Here's the link to the picture:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=565373

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%