What Do You Charge?

Decorating By handsomepants Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 2:47pm by indydebi

handsomepants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handsomepants Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:06am
post #1 of 9

Since I can't open the price matrix file (I'm using my iPhone), I thought I'd ask the question anyway. Factoring EVERYTHING into the cost, what do you charge on average for A) a wedding cake, B) a 3D cake, or C) a specialty/occasion cake? I realize that prices (especially for wedding cakes) can be all over the board, but I'm just looking for the AVERAGE price you charge for an average size cake with an average amount of work. I'm not looking to base my pricing on the numbers I get, I'm just curious as to how much cakes are going for these days. (if you'll notice, it says "newbie" under my name. icon_smile.gif )

thanks for the help!

8 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:59am
post #2 of 9

Basic cake (yellow or white w/bc) 3.50 per slice, more for other flavors.

Fondant 4.50 per slice

carved cakes 5.00 and up depending on how much work I put into it.

BannanaBrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BannanaBrie Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 10:07am
post #3 of 9

Where is the price matrix anyhow, I can't seem to find it icon_sad.gif

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 9

Keep in mind that I'm in Rural, USA icon_wink.gif lol

Buttercream cakes start at $2/serving.
Fondant starts at $3/serving
Topsy/turvy cakes start at $3.50/serving
3D cakes start at $4.00/serving.

I'm definately on the lower end of the pricing spectrum, but I still get people with sticker shock.

The pricing matrix can be found in a sticky in the Cake Business Forum. icon_smile.gif

handsomepants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handsomepants Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 9

So the total price depends on the number of servings? That's a good basis to start from. What about, say, a wedding cake decorated with 20 medium fondant/gp roses? Does the time it takes to make those (and other intricate parts) get factored in as well? It seems to me that pricing would depend on the amount of time it takes to complete a cake PLUS ingredients. Or do I have it all backwards?

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomepants

So the total price depends on the number of servings? That's a good basis to start from. What about, say, a wedding cake decorated with 20 medium fondant/gp roses? Does the time it takes to make those (and other intricate parts) get factored in as well? It seems to me that pricing would depend on the amount of time it takes to complete a cake PLUS ingredients. Or do I have it all backwards?

sounds about right! thumbs_up.gif

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 9

Those are just where my prices START at (basic designs, not really time consuming). If they want extra decorations (like 20 gp roses) then, yes, the price will go up.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 9

Where is Indy when you need her???

I had such a hard time pricing what I thought my cakes were worth. I called arouns some locak bakeries and other home-based and I found these prices.

Basic butter cream: $1.50-$2.50
Fondant: $3.00-$5.00

There were no prices for carved. I got the usual...3D, carved cakes are based on time and detail.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:47pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomepants

... but I'm just looking for the AVERAGE price you charge for an average size cake with an average amount of work.

I'm not sure there IS such a thing as "average size cake with average amount of work". icon_confused.gif

there are just too many factors involved for someone to sit here and tell you "this is my pricing". Those who work from home probably can't buy in high volume so their cost for a cup of flour is 15 cents a cup while folks like me, who have(had) a shop can buy flour in bulk for 1.5 cents a cup.

Folks like KoryAK have higher base costs simply by virture of their location. the cost to get supplies from Country Kitchen (Ft. Wayne IND) to Alaska is much great than the cost to get them from Ft. Wayne, IND to Indpls, IND.

Folks like snarkybaker use absolutely THE best and finest ingredients (there's a thread on here somewhere where she talks about that). Her base costs are going to be WAY higher than mine, because I use Betty Crocker.

I would recommend you grab a big glass of iced tea, reserve a few hours and just kick back and read every single thread that has to do with pricing. there is so much info from novice and expert alike .... it won't take long for you to go into information overload. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%