Question About Cake Challenges?

Lounge By JaeRodriguez Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 1:49pm by JaeRodriguez

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:11am
post #1 of 6

My hubby and I were wondering (after working on gumpaste animals and watching the nursery rhymes food network challenge)... How do the challengers make fondant/gumpaste figures that don't require time to dry? I saw that one of the people had wire in them but do all of the figures have a support system like that? I was thinking that I've seen some challenges with figures that don't look like they are made with supports, but if I tried to make a gumpaste person without a support or letting it dry over a couple days it would fall! Any ideas? TIA!

5 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:20am
post #2 of 6

The way I understand it is...

they're allowed to bring finished items and use them ONLY if they are able to reproduce that item during the competition.

So, if I want 200 gumpaste roses on a challenge cake. I can make them ahead of time and use the pre-made, dried items on the finished cake but I must make 200 gumpaste roses during the challenge. This is due to the extended drying time required by so many techniques.

This is my understanding of it anyway.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:21am
post #3 of 6

I would say that they are adding Tylose to help dry it out faster.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:25am
post #4 of 6

all4cake, thats what i heard too.
either way the work that is performed on challenges just blows me away!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:43am
post #5 of 6

Wow that's very interesting and makes a lot of sense.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 6

all4cake, thank you! That makes sense, we sat there the whole challenge trying to figure out how they did it. :] pretty sure my DH is turning into a cake nut too! hehe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%