How To Get Gold Embossed Effect On Cake?

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 6:29pm by JCE62108

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 7

Customer fell in love with this book. I would like to be able to reproduce it as closely as possible.

Any ideas how to reproduce that gold embossing on the border and text?

I would like to look like it is actually in the book, and not cut out fondant applied to the top if possible. Ideas?
LL

6 replies
Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 7

I would like to know as well! bump

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 7

If I were doing this I think I would make a stencil with the words, lightly roll over the stencil with a rolling pin to make a slight impression and then use gold paint/lustre dust (leaving the stencil in place so you get nice clean edges). It's the only way I can think of that you would get it to look like it is part of the book (rather than having fondant pieces). It would be kind of like reverse embossing because the letters and border would be a higher than the rest of the cover. I guess you could do it the other way....cut out the letters/border and press them into the cover and then hand paint it. Just an idea....

JCE62108 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 7

What product would you recommend that will paint over the book without seeing that purple behind it? Will luster dust mixed with vodka be opaque enough?

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 7

You may have to do a couple of coats. I have used gold lustre dust with vodka over black and it covered it no problem with a couple of coats.

leslieannec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslieannec Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 7

What about goldleaf over a stencil? Goldleaf is so easily torn, but it could work.

JCE62108 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 7

I like the idea of pressing a design into the fondant. I think Ill do that. Actually, maybe this is weird but I hope it will work....I just cooked some spaghetti, carefully braided it, and Im letting it sit to dry and harden so I can use it to imprint a braided border along the edge of the book. Im not sure if it will work or if it will be too fragile. I figured Id try it, and if it doesnt work maybe Ill make a gumpaste braid. Its not like I will have to press to hard so I think it will work. Im going to print the photo and see if I can cut out those letters so I have the exact text style. This is going to be the hardest part of the cake. Otherwise, its just a book. So Im going to take my time on this little detail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%