Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 10:02pm by kayla1505

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:29am
post #31 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Then I paste it into Inkscape, trace the bitmap, delete the orginal and save as a svg.

How do you get it to talk to your personal circut without SCAL or one of the others?

All Inkscape does is save it as a svg, then when you open up MTC or SCAL you will be able to import the svg file.
You will need one of those programs to use the svg files with the Cricut.
I have a folder called "svg files" on my desktop, I save the svg file from Inkscape to that folder.
Then when I open up MTC I click on the svg button and open whichever file I want from that folder.
It then puts it onto the screen/mat and I can adjust the size, shape etc.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:54am
post #32 of 137

CakeMommy, thanks for taking the time to explain all this. It has been a huge help to me and I now feel qualified to take on a Cricut! Just have to find one at a reasonable price!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:01am
post #33 of 137

Okay, you all have talked me into it. I really don't want to spend 400 on the Cake when everyone says the others do the same job. I already have the personal, deep cut blade and housing, and extra blades in my cart on Joann's. Anything else I need before I check out??

Susan

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:16am
post #34 of 137

I have the cricut and been saving svg files I find for over 3 months but still can't get the swing of it and I've seen the tutorials numerous times. I gotta figure out how to unzip the files first. If anyone likes I will share the websites that has the free svg files. I don't for the life of me understand how it works. I did buy the SCAL program figured I wouldn't have to buy all the cricut stuff, but again I don't understand computer stuff. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! I am gonna sit down one day and not get up until I've figured it out.

http://www.mycricutbuddy.com/

http://www.pennyduncancreations.com/PDC%20Tutorials%20SCAL2%20Nestie%20Cutfiles.htm

http://svgcuts.com/blog/?p=422

http://www.myscrapchick.com/collection_small.htm

http://svgfiles.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-06-30T12%3A42%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=50

http://southernbellesvg.blogspot.com/2009/11/o-holy-night.html

http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/my-inkscape-0-46-tutorials/

http://mycricutscrapbooking.com/

Here's a few I've found I refuse to give up.

THis one looks helpful

http://designingwithdiecuts.com/

http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/double-loop-and-eyelet-cupcake-wrappers/

CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:23am
post #35 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I have the cricut and been saving svg files I find for over 3 months but still can't get the swing of it and I've seen the tutorials numerous times. I gotta figure out how to unzip the files first. If anyone likes I will share the websites that has the free svg files. I don't for the life of me understand how it works. I did buy the SCAL program figured I wouldn't have to buy all the cricut stuff, but again I don't understand computer stuff. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! I am gonna sit down one day and not get up until I've figured it out.

When you open up the zipped file there should be a button at the top of the window that says "unzip all files" have you tried that?

suzylynn58 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:28am
post #36 of 137

can I ask a dumb question? after you download the files to the cricut, can you disconnect from the computer to cut them? I do not have internet at my cake shop.

Edited to say - DUH!! of course, all I will need is my laptop after the files on there. Don't know what I was thinking!!!

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:30am
post #37 of 137

Thanks CakeMommyTX!

Guess I was just trying to avoid buying something else! icon_smile.gif

Have you used SCAL or do you just like MTC better?

CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:46am
post #38 of 137

I have'nt actaully purchased either one, I have the demos for both and I've been playing with them for about a week, so far I prefer MTC.
I'm about to cut with MTC as soon as my mmf is ready, in about ten minutes, so far I've only made the svg files and made test cuts with the one cartridge that it came with.
If I'm happy with this trial run then I will buy the full version of MTC.
The demos are just like the full version except they cut a line through everything so you can't actually use them for anything, but it will allow you to test each one out and decide which you like better.

suzylynn58 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:49am
post #39 of 137

Just ordered my cricut expressions with deep cut blade and extra blades! Yippee!!!

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:55am
post #40 of 137

I think we should start a thread just for sharing files. Or maybe ask "the powers that be" for a cricut forum icon_wink.gif

I've made some svgs and have hundreds saved on my computer.

LOVE my cricut icon_smile.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:02am
post #41 of 137

Kayla ......................... How on earth do you make them I can't even figure out what I have. Guess I'm gonna be sitting down this weekend and not get up until I've got it.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:13am
post #42 of 137

Ive made my own cupcake wrappers. I found a scroll jpg that I altered. And I made my own heart box.

Its really just playing around with inkscape and scal.

Ever since scal updated they have alot of new features that let you create your own files.

The sites that helped me the most are

I can make my own borders and and designs just useing the shapes library. icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:29am
post #43 of 137

Okay so at least 2 of the files I made work, I cut a wheel and the eyelet lace and both came out perfect, with the exception of the demo cut . I will upgrade to the full version of MTC tonight!
Also I used almost straight mmf with very little tylose, barely a sprinkle, just let it dry for about 30mins.
Blade,speed and pressure all on 2.
Next time I will use straight mmf no tylose, I am determine to not have to use gumpaste,I just can't see myself covering a cake with hard crunchy gp.
I took some pics, I'll post in a sec.
Just now getting around to eating my healthy dinner of fried eggs and cornbeef hash!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:39am
post #44 of 137

I got my new Expressions out last night, set it up and cut paper today for the first time. Mine came with the Breast cancer cartridge, so I cut the ribbons, and made cookie cutting templates! I have all sorts of ideas now for cookie templates, once I get software.
I will get around to fondant one of these days!

sweetpeachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpeachcakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:09pm
post #45 of 137

I remember seeing cakes at ICES last year that used the Cricut (they were Linda McClure's I think) and thinking that was so cute. Since then (what, almost a year now?) I have FINALLY broken down and bought one, but not after weeks of shopping around. The best deal, by far, was at HSN where I got the Expression, the Jukebox, 6 really cute cartridges, the computer software (design studio?), mats, etc. The only other thing i will need to get is the deep cut cartridge. I just couldn't wait for the cricut cake to come out and then have to wait longer to get a good deal. I also don't really want to (right now at least) deal with svg files, etc. because then I know I would spend all of time on the computer. The total from HSN for everything was $429.95 plus free shipping and divided payments (a little over $100 per month for 4 months). Adding everything up together if I'd gotten the smaller bundle from a craft store or Wal-Mart was over $600. I then found a coupon online for HSN for 15% off the order, so I got $50 off the original total. In all, I paid only $379.95 for everything! I have so many cakes coming up that I want to use this on. I can't wait to get it!

Agape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Agape Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:45pm
post #46 of 137

Tubbs, in Canada you should get the Cricut at Walmart instead of Michaels. The price is about half! I just came across the Cricut a few days ago when looking for scrapbooking paper to make cupcake wrappers. It's in the Wedding/Scrapbook aisle at Walmart and the Create was selling for just under $200 and I believe the Expression was in the neighbourhood of $350.

I'm very new to the Cricut and I'm excited to buy mine this weekend, so thanks to everyone for their comments and advice on this and other threads. I've been reading up a storm!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:06pm
post #47 of 137

I would love to have any files that anyone has to share!!!

my email is : [email protected]!!!

Thanks in advance...

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:10pm
post #48 of 137

I think I might stop by JoAnn's on my way home! How fun!

sgraff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgraff Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:47pm
post #49 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

I would love to have any files that anyone has to share!!!

my email is : [email protected]!!!

Thanks in advance...

I would as well. Thank you!

[email protected]

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 11:28pm
post #50 of 137

Ooh, ooh, me too.

[email protected]

I got MTC for Christmas and LOVE it. I haven't done any caking with it yet but have been extremely busy making things for my kids birthday parties in Dec and Jan, and now planning my sisters bridal shower and designing invitations, decorations, etc. I have even designed some wall hangings for my sons room (someday I'll have the time to cut them out and make them).

bellsnbows Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellsnbows Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 12:00am
post #51 of 137

I love my cricut! When I bought it (and thought gee i wish i could use that for cake) my husband thought I was crazy for spending that much money on it. It wasn't long before he started saying, "that was a great buy" and "I can't believe how much you use that thing". Now that I use it for cakes, he definitely knows it was worth every penny!

I would love to have any files! [email protected]

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 12:08am
post #52 of 137

I don't know if you have heard, but cricut is coming out with a system for cake decorating. As soon as it comes out, it's mine.

CakeCrystals

xmstazx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xmstazx Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:28am
post #53 of 137

How thick are you making the fondant? I tried cutting already made wilton fondant and had some issues. Also what do you put on the sticky mat? I know this has been covered before but I can't find the thread. Thanks icon_smile.gif

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:52am
post #54 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Heres what I know so far. I hope I answer some if not most of the questions anyone has.

1. Any Cricut Cutter should work including the Create,Personal and Expression

2. You can cut with the regular blade but it will be easier with the deep cut blade and housing, it is made to cut thicker materials such as chipboard and magnetic sheets, so it is perfect for gumpaste/fondant

3.With the purchase of the MTC (Make the Cut) or SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot) software you shouldnt have to buy cartridges unless you want to.

4.Inkscape is a free downloadable program for converting jpegs,bitmaps and image files into svg. Once they are converted you may use them on either the MTC or SCAL software. Search Youtube for tutorials, you can pause the video at each step and work in Inkscape at the same time.

5.Since everyone uses slightly different recipes for fondant/gumpaste and humidity and all that fun stuff can affect it you will need to play with the drying time, cutting speed, pressure and blade depth.

6. MMF with sprinkle of tylose (didnt want it to dry to hard)
Dry Time-10
Speed-2
Pressure-1
Blade-4

7.Some images will need to be edited in paint before pasted into Inkscape, I have found that if you want the entire image cut and not the outline then black the entire image out in paint first and then paste in Inkscape. For example when I did the svg for baby booties and loaded it into MTC it saw the outline as the shape instead of the whole pattern. So I pasted it into paint, filled it in with black and then redid it in Inkscape, this way it will cut it out just as if you were cutting it yourself.

8. The more detailed the design the slower you may want to cut it.

9.When choosing and image to cut make sure it has closed lines. I like to use stencils as they have nice clean lines to start with and if there are any open lines I just draw/connect them in paint.

10. you will need 1 cartridge,however mine came with one.

What a great explanation CakeMommyTX
I'd love be on your email list for the files.
[email protected]
Thanks

xmstazx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xmstazx Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:00am
post #55 of 137

I have all of that inforamation, I'm curious as to how thick you rolled the fondant and what to put on the sticky mat?

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:14am
post #56 of 137

Ok, officially bought my Cricut personal from JoAnn's today along w/ a deep cut blade and housing! Can't wait to get started!

All I have to do now is download the SCAL program and off I go! If anyone would send me the SVG stuff they've been saving, I'd appreciate it!

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:16am
post #57 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmstazx

I have all of that inforamation, I'm curious as to how thick you rolled the fondant and what to put on the sticky mat?

I know I have posted this elsewhere. But we tested the Expression vs the Cake different thicknesses and times. I would post here but it is 20 photos long www.cuttingedgecakeart.com To get the sticky off the mat use goo-b-gone. You can find it at Micheals or Lowes.

Galler Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:17am
post #58 of 137

On the Personal Circut the roller makes a mark on the fondant even without the rubber thing...how do I avoid that?

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:20am
post #59 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galler

On the Personal Circut the roller makes a mark on the fondant even without the rubber thing...how do I avoid that?

Which one are you refering to?

Galler Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:25am
post #60 of 137

The roller has four rubber things two big ones on the outside and two smaller ones on the inside...I removed the smaller ones as instructed but indentation still makes an impression on the fondant
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%