Bible Cake, What Else To Add To Make It Pretty?

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 9:26pm by KHalstead

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 8

Customer requests a closed bible cake for a 65th BIRTHDAY. She wants it extra, extra, super duper special...or something like that.

She had no clue what to add to it, and was like "you're the decorator...come up with something!" I have a few ideas, but I would love to know if there are some other wonderful ideas you guys have.

I was thinking of a closed bible, with a pretty rosary drapped across it (like all those beautiful paintings and photographs), and maybe some sort of flowers arranged on the board next to the book. I was thinking a bouquet of callas, but is that too wedding-ish? Maybe some red roses? Im sure I could add some long stems to some red gumpaste roses.

What do you think I could add to make this stunning?

Oh, one more question, off topic, but any clue what I can use to make a leather texture on fondant?.

7 replies
WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 8

Is the customer Catholic? The rosary would be nice if he/she is, if not I'd skip that.

The name embossed in gold on the corner always looks nice.

You could have a decorate bookmark sticking out from between the pages.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 8

You could also have a frame with either scripture or praying hands. For those I use the chocolate molds.

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 8

I was thinking of the bookmark too. coming out of the top with a nice tassell. perhaps the book mark could lay beside it or across it if it doesnt work out to come out of it. The bookmark could have like a lighthouse scene on it. or the footprints in the sand saying on it? ? Just a thought.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 8

She did request a bookmark. She wants the birthday girl's name and date of birth on it. She wants HOLY BIBLE writen on the front of the book. She didnt seem like she wanted any scriptures or anything like that. She said the point was the bible "as a whole" and not a particular passage. That's why she wanted it closed, actually.

So, if she is not Catholic I shouldnt do a rosary? Im going to email her photos tonight and see what she says. I found a beautiful photo with lilies next to the book. They are white with soft pink edges. But I worry lilies are either too wedding-ish......or worse, funneral-ish. icon_sad.gif

Then I thought maybe roses or pansies? Pansies would give it lots of color, and if I dont add, say, tulips and daffodils, maybe it wont seem to easter-ish? (Ok, Im retiring "ish" for now.)

maris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maris Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 8

Many years ago I made a religious cake with a chocolate cross. The first link features one cross made by gathering chocolate clay ribbons in the shape of a cross. These cakes are ancient, so the quality of these pictures is not the best.

http://www.memoriesinthebaking.com/Solseastercross-MB.jpg

The second link will (hopefully) take you to another cake I made, also using chocolate clay, but instead of ribbons, I used a Wilton gum paste leaf mold to make a cross.

http://www.memoriesinthebaking.com/cruz_mib.jpg

If you'd rather not use a cross, how about an open (or closed) bible featuring dogwoods. Spring is almost here, and dogwoods would look ethereal on a cake, and would be nice for a young girl.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 8

Could you make it appear that the bible was sitting on a table with a nice runner or table cloth? Doves could be incorporated in some way if you don't think they would be too much like a wedding.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

So, if she is not Catholic I shouldnt do a rosary?

Definitely DON"T do a rosary if she's not Catholic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%