Using Stamps On Fondant Covered Cakes?

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 6 Sep 2011 , 2:02am by tdovewings

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, Everyone I was wondering if anyone has used scrapbook stamps, like letters or flowers on their cake to make an embossed look just using the stamp and not with food coloring, and had any luck or any advise on ones to buy I am going to make a graduation cake in may and wanted to put his name and 2010 on the side of it and thought the stamps would be a nice look. If anyone has tried it can you post a pic or website.
Thanks
Kiley

6 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, here is the one I did.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1313254

Now mind you, I did this really quickly for a photo shoot for a banquet hall, so I maybe took 30 min from start to finish (fondant covering of dummies, stamping, and placing the silk flowers and bows). I am sure that if you took more time and greater care to control how much coloring you have on the stamp you will have better results, I just had to get it done ASAP.. LOL!

KTurner1010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTurner1010 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 7

I'm thinking about doing a paris themed cake for my birthday in October I saw that you used stamps which is what I had planned. But what do I use as ink for the stamp? Gel food coloring, powder food coloring mixed with vodka etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kendra

kharvey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kharvey Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 7

What a great way to breathe new life into those rubber stamps that I haven't used in years. I was very particular about how they were cleaned and were stored with absolutely no ink left on them. I never thought about doing this. As for the color, Did you brush on coloring gel or what? Love this idea!!!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 7

I've used stamps, mostly for embossed lettering. Depending on the detail & depth of the stamp, they do work well. I use them without colour, then paint colour into the impression if needed. Personally I only ever use brand new stamps that have never been used with ink. I buy the clear-type unmounted stamps rather than the ones that have been mounted onto a wooden back, because I like to be able to wash them really well.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 1:40am
post #6 of 7

There is a very good tutorial on how to use these stamps in the July issue of the cakepirate, an online sugarcraft magazine. It's a German one, but with an english edition as well
I'm not sure whether I am allowed to post the link?
www.cakepirate.de

de is the ending for Germany

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 2:02am
post #7 of 7

I've got to try this, sounds like a great idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%