Complaint?? I Don't See It, Do You?

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 4:02pm by WendyB

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 48

Just got a complaint , customer says the black was brown and the red was really dull.
It had to be the ligthing (at a /barclub) because the cake looked fine when I delivered it.
The pic is below, does it look dull and brown?
I admit the royal looks lighter when compared to the feathers but it was'nt brown?
So do I just apologize and move on?
It's a regular customer, never had any complaints before.
Keep in mind I gave her a huge deal, basically did the Topsy Turvy part for free because I really wanted to do the design and it was out of her budget (I let her know she was getting a discount).
So why would someone complain about a cake they did'nt even pay full price for?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1597103

47 replies
RebelChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelChick Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 48

Because that's what they do...complain, complain, complain. Your cake is exquisite! I truly hope to be that good one day. thumbs_up.gif

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 48

"I'm sorry that the colors did not show as well as you would have liked in your venue. I've enclosed a nice photo that you might like to use in your photo album."

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 48

I don't see ANYTHING on this cake that can be complained about! It is amazing! I would just apologize, and leave it at that. No future discounts either! Great job!

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 48

I think your cake is FANTASTIC. I think you must have spent days working on that! Some people are just plain stupid! Accept that and move on and don't ever bake for that person again.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 48

It looks perfect. They must've seen it under some awful yellow light. They're nuts. I don't think you have anything to apologize for.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 48

the cake is fabulous. The feathers are so black that it does make the black fondant on the cake look like it is dark grey. The red is not dull. I think it its just because of the strenght of black in the feathers that plays an optical illusion with the eyes. But it is still a beautiful cake. Maybe explain the color contrast of the black and if she is a regular, keep her as one, and send her a dozen cupcakes. Great job on that cake.

oh.. if you use a cake lacquer on the black. It would make it REALLY bright and shiney. Incase you do another cake where the black is as intense as the feathers. HTH some.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 48

Ummmm- somebody actually complained about THIS cake?? It is gorgeous and I see nothing wrong with the colors. I agree with the suggestion to send a nice photo to the customer with a note that you wanted to make sure she had a nice photo of the cake in good lighting for her photo album. Nothing more than that!

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 48

I don't think it looks brown, or dull. I love the cake, and all of the posted comments are of praise. thumbs_up.gif

llbesq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llbesq Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 48

The cake is wonderful! It is obvious in the photograph that the black was truly black as compared to the brown cigars (???) at the base of the cake. I second WendyB's suggested response.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:12pm
post #11 of 48

Yeah the cigars are brown, no way the black is "brown". I agree the black feathers may make the fondant look a bit lighter but good grief...the cake is awesome...she's crazy to complain about it!!!! Colors are subjective anyway....if she did not specify "I want jet, shiny patent leather black" then she doesn't need to worry about it.

Awesome cake! I have yet to try one like that.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 48

Darn feathers, I really do blame them, I noticed the difference in color when I bought them, they were just soo black. and to think the original design only had white feathers, should have stuck with that.
Oh well.
Thank you everyone!

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 48

Oh no! I saw this cake and added it to my favorites! I don't see what they are talking about!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:25pm
post #14 of 48

I would tell her sorry to hear she was not pleased with the cake. However, you could not get the black icing to match the black feather w/o it tasting bitter.
To me it looks black and red.

Shermie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shermie1 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:25pm
post #15 of 48

The cake is awesome. I can only dream of EVER being able to do something like that. This is why I love this site. I am in awe of of the people who make such awesome creations. That being said, this lady is out of her mind. Obviously she has NEVER created a cake like this. Most people have NO idea the amount of time it takes just to prepare and put what you need to work with together. Much less make it come together to a finished product. That cake is hours of work. I second Weny B's response.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:25pm
post #16 of 48

Oh honey, no. NO, no, no....this cake is fabulous!!!! And if they already got a deal on it...definitely apologize for the lighting in their venue...but NOTHING else!!!

Chickycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chickycakes Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:26pm
post #17 of 48

No, it's pretty fabulous. It's a beautiful cake!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:27pm
post #18 of 48

Holy smokes.....What does she have to complain about.....you cake is fantastic....I personally like the little bit of contract with the feathers.... (but it's not a brown tone, by no means) The only other thing I could suggest...is black fondant.....but that put aside......YOU DID A FANTACTIC JOB.....

Different lighting will product a different color effect....I did a wedding and the photographer mentioned that she would have to use a different filter to clarify the yellow tones of the lighting..... Ofer her a dozen cupcakes if you want and let it go...... keep up the good work.....

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:38pm
post #19 of 48

famtastic cake.

nothing to complain about.

the cigars are brown but nothing else is.

phooey on them for making you feel bad

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:38pm
post #20 of 48

Tell her it's food not plastic. I think the dull part is she wanted shiney. Well for goodnessake she's crazy to complain.

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:39pm
post #21 of 48

If it's not too personal to ask...how much did you charge her? How much would you have charged her otherwise? I love your cake. It think is is fabulous! I know that you have to be disappointed after working so hard. It's absolutely beautiful!

teatime423 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teatime423 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:41pm
post #22 of 48

You're cake is awesome!!! You should be super proud of it!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #23 of 48

What a gorgeous cake! Your customer is an ingrate. You give her a discount and she complains. tell her to take one of the cigars and smoke it. LOL

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:51pm
post #24 of 48

You don't owe her any apology at all! The cake is definitely black and red, and your photo shows that. I agree with the poster who said to send her a copy of it to put in her photo album. I think even with the big discount she was still having buyers remorse and was looking for even more money back.

Explain that it was just the lighting of the club that gave the colors an odd cast. The cake is fabulous!

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm
post #25 of 48

Your cake is awesome!! I love it!! Tell your complaining client to beat it! She's crazy!

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #26 of 48

you said it was at a bar/nightclub right? Maybe she had one TOO many and was wearing "beer goggles" at the time. Stand behind your work b/c it is awesome! and no more discounts. I dont even want to know how much you "gave" her this cake for!?

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:59pm
post #27 of 48

I agree, this cake is stunning! The customer is obviosly just looking for either a partial refund or an even steeper discount off a future purchase! You have no reason to feel like there is anything wrong with this cake!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:03pm
post #28 of 48

I see nothing wrong with the cake. Looks great. Brown is brown, black is black and red is red. Doesnt look dull in the picture.

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:05pm
post #29 of 48

I agree with kcassano.....that is definitenly black and red. Lighting can change the colors, but it left your facility being the right colors! Great job!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:10pm
post #30 of 48

This lady is NUTS if she was anything but thrilled with this cake. It is awesome! People are absolutely unbelievable sometimes. No apology. No refund. And the next time she wants a cake, no more orders from her! Crazy woman!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%