Scratch Strawberry Cake Failure!!

Baking By Normita Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 5:22am by sweetiesbykim

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:28am
post #1 of 5

I just did a strawberry cake from scratch and I had some problems. Don't know if this was my problem but I halved the recipe. After reading the reviews, I decided to sift my flour before measuring and whipped the egg whites last and folded them in the batter. I made both a 6 inch cake and cupcakes. Both ending up shrinking so much. My cupcakes looked like mini cupcakes LOL!! The cake must have shrunk at least an inch. I dont know what went wrong!! Any suggestions...or if you have a no fail strawberry cake preferably from scratch that would be great icon_smile.gif

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Cake-from-Scratch/Detail.aspx

4 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:57am
post #2 of 5

I make this cake all the time and I've never had a problem. I do sift the flour prior to measuring (the recipe is written that way), but I do NOT whip the egg whites and fold them in. I mix the eggs normally. You also have to be careful with overmixing this cake. It's sensitive icon_smile.gif
Try again and don't whip the egg whites. Good luck!

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 8:06am
post #3 of 5

I agree it sounds like it's over mixed, also the whipped egg white will make it shrink. Any cake with flavoured gelatin in it will be dense so if you want a lighter cake use a different recipe that doesn't use this ingredient.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:02am
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much. I guess I'm gonna try it again, this time not separating the eggs and being very careful to not overmix it. icon_smile.gif

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:22am
post #5 of 5

I use Martha Stewart's recipe (Sprinkles Cupcakes recipe). I think the only change I made was to use cake flour instead of AP, and found it's much more cakey and less like a muffin texture. Everyone is correct that you can easily over beat it. I also have the eggs at room temp and heat the milk in the microwave until room temp. HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%