Wow I've Never Encountered This...

Decorating By tavyheather Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 6:36am by CakeEvolution

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:55am
post #1 of 15

This is the conclusion? to my other post "client got a quote for WHAT??!!"...

so now she wants me to do the cupcakes and get the top cake from the cheap place...I have 2 concerns:

my name and reputation is now combined with a $16 cake

and I'm letting her borrow a stand for all of it...

Have you ever let anyone do this?! Maybe this is normal..I'm new to all this...

14 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:07am
post #2 of 15

I have an all or nothing clause in my contract. Either I provide all the cake for the party (or wedding) or none of that.

You need to tell her the same thing. DO NOT let her borrow your stand unless she is ordering all the cake from you.

Type up a contract and get a non-refundable deposit before you do anything else with this person. Get a CASH refundable deposit for the stand.

If she gives you a hard time, tell her "I think you should find another baker more suited to your needs."

Seriously, this woman screams PITA and is trying to take advantage of you and your inexperience as a business person. Get a backbone with her NOW or you are in for a lot of problems.

tavyheather Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:10am
post #3 of 15

ok. thanks. It's messy 'cause it's my good friend's cousin. I am in for a lot of drama but I am not going to start this out getting completely taken advantage of! Thanks for the response!!! You gave me the motivation!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:20am
post #4 of 15

Do yourself a HUGE favor and decline this job... no good can come of it.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:22am
post #5 of 15

I'll jump on that bandwagon. My contract also says all or nothing. I won't have my work lumped in with someone's product that I can't guarentee the taste/cleanliness/quality of.

She needs to get the cuppies AND the top cake at wherever she can afford it. All from you or NONE from you. And, no, don't loan the cuppie stand.

tavyheather Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:27am
post #6 of 15

thanks for the advice, all...this is the email I'm sending her: (it was for 200 cupcakes! and I quoted her $75 for a fondant round top cake, with a fondant monogram topper)...let me know if u feel I should change any parts...

"I'm sorry but I'm not the right person to do this for you...

The $380 was an incredibly good deal, I generously offered you that, as well as letting you borrow a stand for free (so that saves you a lot)...plus I'm driving all the way up to LA for $20, plus spent 4+ hours IMing and emailing doing a free consultation and was doing a free cake tasting...

I have an all-or-nothing clause, as most cake artists do...I do the entire cake or none of it. I put hours of time into designing custom-work and it gets exhausting and expensive. When another's cake is added on top of mine the time and effort spent on customizing something special for you is lost. In addition, my signature and reputation is on the line so if it doesn't all look the way I planned, it really makes my time and effort worthless.

I'm sorry but this just isn't how its done in the business...it sounds like you are admirably concerned with the bottom line, but I don't think I'm the right person for this. If you're looking for the best deal, and not someone who wants to create something custom just for you, maybe another bakery can better suite your needs.

Thank you for your consideration and I wish you a wonderful wedding!"

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:44am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Do yourself a HUGE favor and decline this job... no good can come of it.

that summed it up in a nutshell. great advice. and you email was really polite, stated your concerns, yet i would really stress the part that your contract says NO other cake except yours is to be served at the reception. what if someone got sick off the other cake and said it was yours that made them ill.

Drop her like a hot potato before you get burned.

I am sorry that you had to deal with such a bride. They just dont realize what all goes into their cakes.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 15

I don't think I would go into that much detail when declining the job. Just a simple, "I am sorry, I am the only business to provide cake or I do not do the job, thank you for your time" kind of thing is what I would do.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 15

I agree don't take this job! Its already a hassle.
Its all or nothing.
And I would take out all the apologies from your email along with the detailed info on time/energy. Most people don't care or understand the amount of work that goes into a cake. After all is just flour, sugar and eggs?!? Yea right! NOT!
Just stay firm not rude and tell her you are declining because its all or nothing. You have a business and reputation and that is your policy.
Good luck!!

Nytepyre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nytepyre Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 15

I think your email was professional and well stated! GL! I don't think you came off as rude or unreasonable. Hopefully she sees the light. Some people just don't know/care about proper business decorum and how to work with someone!

tavyheather Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:09am
post #11 of 15

Thanks so much for your responses!

SO THIS IS HER RESPONSE TO MY oops caps...to my polite "NO" email:

"Thank you for your time.. We have gone to other bakeries and they do free consultation and free tasting as well.

If it is to much trouble for you then I will go ahead and look some where else. Sorry for your trouble and your time.

best regards, _______"

Wow, free 4 hours of consultation and emailing? wow, I am sooo glad I don't have to deal with her for the next year!!!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:25am
post #12 of 15

happy to hear your ordeal of OVER!!
now on to more productive and profitable orders.
take a deep breath and a big thumps thumbs_up.gif up to you for standing your ground.
take this as a victory.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:29am
post #13 of 15

Good job!! I'm so proud of you, and it turned out so well -no feelings hurt! icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:35am
post #14 of 15

y'all make we want to cry icon_wink.gif Thanks so much for the support...it really got me through this!!!

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:36am
post #15 of 15

I have learned the HARD way... Never lend out your supplies...They never come back on time or AT ALL.. When I started attaching a price/rental or deposit fee...It's amazing how much people repsect my equipment, when THEIR money is on the line....lol

Some people just want everything their way, no consideration for others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%