Khalstead's Modified Nfsc

Baking By sweeteecakes Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 4:34pm by Rosie2

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #61 of 112

I think the preservatives in the pudding mix or maybe the gelatin itself is what keeps them fresh and soft for so long....not sure, but I know they stay that way for a LONG time........longer than you ought to be keeping cookies around LOL

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:15pm
post #62 of 112

Save

messy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy1 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:18am
post #63 of 112

When Khalstead's modified NFSC says to use veg shortening does she mean Crisco (thick white in the can) stuff or the oil (in the bottle)? Thanks.

bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:39am
post #64 of 112

Yep! That's correct the thick shortening in the can. I just made these cookies again for Easter and they turned out fabulous! I used French Vanilla pudding, very tasty! HTH icon_smile.gif

cjford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjford Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm
post #65 of 112

What did I do wrong??? My dough was greasy and crumbly. I used 5 cups of flour b/c it's pretty humid here. Should I have used less. My butter was very room temp. Should it be a little firm? Also, I made the dough Saturday and 'tried' to bake Monday night. Could that be why it's greasy? Other than that, I followed the recipe. I really want to like this recipe. I LOVE the recipe I've been using but it call for sour cream, which I don't always have. TIA

KHalstead Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:22pm
post #66 of 112

if it was hot, it's possible that could have made it seem "greasy" if your butter/shortening was literally melting once the dough was made. If it was crumbly, then it's possible you did use too much flour, never seen dough be greasy AND crumbly at the same time thoguh!. Generally 5 cups is perfect for me though..once in a while I need a little more .

Forgot to mention that I use large eggs...........that really CAN affect a recipe......if you guys use medium or X-large it can definitely throw off the whole recipe!

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 10:27pm
post #67 of 112

I am with you on the egg size, KHalstead....I have learned the hard & expensive way to NEVER buy anything but LARGE eggs! Too many recipes have been ruined because of using the extra large eggs. It really does make a difference. icon_wink.gif

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 10:51am
post #68 of 112

So KHalstead what was your final answer as to the pudding mix. I didn't even see instant jello in a 4 oz box. The ones I bought are 3.3 "Jell-0" brand. Do I use one box or one and a half or what?
Thanks

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:47pm
post #69 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

So KHalstead what was your final answer as to the pudding mix. I didn't even see instant jello in a 4 oz box. The ones I bought are 3.3 "Jell-0" brand. Do I use one box or one and a half or what?
Thanks

Hi, I'm not trying to bud in here, but I always use KHlastead's recipe & also use Jello brand pudding mix. My favorite is the Cheesecake one & I just looked on the box & it is actually 1 ounce...makes 4 1/2 cups servings. The Jello Chocolate is 1.4 ounces and makes 4 1/2 cup servings also. I am just wondering if the recipe had a typo and had 1-4 ounce box, meaning 1 box of a 4oz size box or if it had meant to be 1.4 oz box, which is what I always use. (except the Cheesecake one which is only a 1 oz box). These are the smaller of the two sizes Jello brand sells. Just using ONE of these smaller boxes is all I have ever done. I sure hope I have been doing it right all this time...the cookies came out great everytime though. The only thing I did differently was cut the sugar down to 2 or 2/2 cups instead of the 3 cups called for.

KHalstead Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:57pm
post #70 of 112

you're right Kathie...............it's 1 small box........I think the actual weight varies so much from flavor to flavor and brand to brand!

KHalstead Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:58pm
post #71 of 112

it's the size pudding mix that calls for 2 cups of cold milk and make 4 servings of pudding.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:46pm
post #72 of 112

Wow - just finished reading this entire thread and can't wait to make these cookies today for my daughter's new baby. Does anyone add a drop or two or flavoring or Lorann Oils to kick up the flavor?

KHalstead Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:19pm
post #73 of 112

you can, I've added raspberry lorann oil to white chocolate cookies and they're delicious!!! I've also added some cheesecake lorann to give a stronger cheesecake flavor to some cookies!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm
post #74 of 112

Khalstead and Kathy, you're both right.
That's why i added 3 boxes of pudding mix my first time trying out the recipe and it was very dry. I tried it again last week with one small box which makes 4-1/2 servings and it was perfect. Thanks for this delicious recipe Khalstead.

Just got Caramel Chip Jello pudding; anyone try that?

toleshed Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:38pm
post #75 of 112

oh thats great everyone - thanks. I'm baking tonight. Wow - can't believe the white chocolate holds so much more but its 2 cups of milk and makes 4 servings. so I'm using the whole box.
Thanks

KHalstead Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:40pm
post #76 of 112

Caramel chip/// Oh man...........I gotta try that!!! I made some cookies at Thanksgiving with the pumpkin spice pudding it was SO good!! I'm totally a caramel lover, so far I've just used the vanilla caramel coffee creamer in the cookies and that's amazing..........I know i'd love caramel chip!!

toleshed Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:28am
post #77 of 112

So do you take all of your scraps and repeat the process?

toleshed Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:55am
post #78 of 112

I am disappointed. I rolled them to 1/4" and they spread, The puffed up and now look all out of shape. Darn. Can't imagine what I did. Followed instructions exactly.

Meowcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meowcakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:07am
post #79 of 112

You know I have been a lurker forever. Decided to take the plunge and sign up. And isn't Khalstead's NFSC recipe was originally given by CakeMommyTX? I know it was from her the first time I saw it and then Khalstead started suggestion it.

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:49am
post #80 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Caramel chip/// Oh man...........I gotta try that!!! I made some cookies at Thanksgiving with the pumpkin spice pudding it was SO good!! I'm totally a caramel lover, so far I've just used the vanilla caramel coffee creamer in the cookies and that's amazing..........I know i'd love caramel chip!!

I am with you on that one, KHalstead...Caramel Chip, Pumpkin Spice....never saw either one of those!! You guys must get those exotic flavors where you live! When you use the Vanilla Caramel Coffee Creamer, how much do you use in your recipe....same as you would if you were using the pudding? icon_rolleyes.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:35am
post #81 of 112

I got 2 boxes of the caramel chip so i'll give it a try soon. I'd really love to try the cheesecake and the white chocolate but i've not seen them in the stores. I'll keep looking!

toleshed Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:04pm
post #82 of 112

I have just finished doing the rest of the dough that was left from last night. I didn't feel like running up and down the cellar stairs where my freezer is, so didn't bother with that step. Put them in the frig for about a 1/2 hr.
They hardly spread at all. Guess I should have omitted the freezer last night

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:58pm
post #83 of 112

icon_biggrin.gif I am so happy this recipe ended up working for you! Having the dough cold is really important. Sometimes I even cut all my shapes, freeze them on the cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, then pop them in the preheated oven the next day right out of the freezer. If for some reason they spread a little you can always take your cookie cutter & go back over the cookie as soon as they come out of the oved....take a flat knife or whatever & just tap in the sides after cutting & they will be perfect. These are tips I learned here on CC....have to LOVE this site!

KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:09pm
post #84 of 112

Actually with the creamer I only add about 2 or 3 Tblsp. of the powdered/ liquid.........if using the liquid you may need a little more flour in the end.......if using the powdered you'll end up using a tad less flour.

I tend to use the powdered ones because they keep in the cupboard for EVER, that way I can have a nice assortment of flavors at all times.

Cookie4 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #85 of 112

FYI - for everyone making these wonderful cookies and saying that they puff up. Recently I read on another site that if you use your fondant smoother to slightly press down the tops of the cookies when they come out of the oven you'll have a nice flat cookie ready for icing. Just thought you'd all like to know (just in case you haven't done this before).

luv2bake6 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:49pm
post #86 of 112

interesting!

WeavnPea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeavnPea Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:47pm
post #87 of 112

A silly question about the recipe! I just joined the board and am new to cookie decorating, struggling to find the best recipe for me! The directions say "two sticks of butter". Recently I've bought butter and the stick sizes range from 1/4cup to half cup! Does the recipe call for one cup of butter? I'm anxious to try this recipe today!
Cynthia

Cookie4 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:59pm
post #88 of 112

To WeavnPea: When a recipe calls for 2 sticks of butter that means 1/2 C per stick or 1 C for 2 sticks.

Cookie4 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:07pm
post #89 of 112

Made this recipe last night and was impressed. I used 2 1/2 C of sugar, 1 small package of Lemon Instant Puddng Mix and a few drops of Loran Lemon Oil and 5 C flour. They worked perfectly using the instructions on the recipe.

The Yield was 30 3 1/2" baby buggy cookies with lots of dough left over, perhaps enough to make 20 more cookies. Wow - that's a lot of dough.

Baking time: I changed the baking time to 11-13 minutes for the 1/4" thick cookies. I realize all ovens are not the same.

The cookies spread and puffed up slightly. I used the Wilton Fondant Smoother and pressed them down gently to flatten and they were perfect. Let them cool on the cookie sheet for 10 min then moved to a rack.

The cookies were left out overnight and are soft today and taste great. The only thing I would do next time is add more flavoring as the lemon is subtle even with the Loran Oil addition. Love this recipe and will make it again, perhaps with the Cheesecake Pudding Mix. Thanks for everyone's tips.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:22pm
post #90 of 112

Would you be able to use all shortening in this recipe? I have a friend who can't eat milk products because her baby is allergic to dairy (she nurses). Has anyone tried it with just shortening? Thanks for any replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%