How To Make A Chapstick Cake

Decorating By rosamatsas Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 12:43pm by rosamatsas

rosamatsas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosamatsas Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 3

Hi Everyone. My sister-in-law asked me to take pictures of the process I used to make this cake. She loves my work but wanted to see a before and after. I did it for her and now i would like to share it everyone on CC.

Step 1: Prepare Oreo Buttercream Filling

Step 2: Prepare the regular buttercream for exterior icing

Step 3: Take your cooled cake and trim off any hard edges (i get them all the time). This is a peice of cake baked in a 12x18 sheet pan. I had used 1/3 of the cake for a different cake order and 2/3 for this one.

Step 4: Level, tort and fill. I personally like to torte my cakes, its a personal choice.

Step 5: Shaping the cake. I start at the top and use sharp serated knife to cut away from the top of the cake. I hold my knife about 45 degrees. Once most of it is trimmed, i switch my to bread knife which is nice a long and seratedto get a more circular feeling on top. Once that is done, I move on to shaping the bottom. I use the same method, a small sharp serated knife, i come in at a an angle and cut in and away. You don't want to go to extreamon your angle. I think it would depend on how your cake can handle it. This was a pretty dense cake and i have worked with it before so ii knew it would hold it shape.

Step 6: Dirty Ice, crumb coat. Whatever you call you - just do it. Set it to the side, or in the fridge or freezer to set its shape.

Step 7: One the first coat is solid, pt on a secondary coat. I use this coat to help hape out the circular shape. I also used a spatula dipped in HOT water to smooth the icing (not pictured) Set it aside once again in the fridge or counter to stiffen up.

Step 8: meanwhile work on the logo template (if needed) I use Photoshop to manipulate a tiny chapstick ogo i found on the internet. Yes its a bit fuzzy when it is enlarged but by all means you can still work with it. I print it out. use an exacto knife to cut out the letter, which gives me a "template" of sorts.

Step 9: Once the cake is step up, cover in Black Fondant.i only covered the top portion then trimmed away.

Step 10: I painted the logo on this cake becasue i did not have enough time to cut itout of gumpaste (which is what i would have usually done. Using the tmpalte you made earlier. lay it down an use it to make the logo.

Step 11:Use white fondant for the cap portion. Trim away any extra.

Step 12: for the wheel end of the Chapstick, using a special ridge roller or the back of a chef knife, put int he groves of the wheel.To amek the back i cut one large circle and adheared it tot he BC. THen i made the whaal grips and cut out a strip, then attached that strip to the cake. There are many methods that i can think of to make wheel, but this was the fastest for me.

Step 13: usng a small brush, paint in any other details you want. On the other side of this ake, there is a USP and weight information.

Step 14: The ENd ENjoy!!!

2 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 3

cool looking, this would be good for me, i'm addicted to the stuff, i make my own, i didn't feel so bad when i read a survey on how many people are.

rosamatsas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosamatsas Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 3

ninatat, you make your own Chapstick. Wow, good for you. Can you share that recipe?? Those things re expensive. I never use chapstick. I went to the store to buy the black for this cake and it ws $2. For people who can go through one of them in a matter of days, That can get expensive.
Well have fun inf you attempt this cake. Its really easy and fun to make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%