Non-Refrigerated Strawberry Faux Mousse?

Baking By careylynn Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 7:55am by sweettreat101

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 3

I am looking for a stabilized, firm, strawberry mousse-like filling that does not need refrigerated. It is going to be used with a bc and fondant covered vanilla butter cake.
Or, just a stabilized strawberry mousse filling would work as well. I've never had to refrigerate my mmf covered cakes before and am nervous about condensation and the after-effects. So that is why I am looking for a non-perishable filling instead icon_smile.gif Thanks in advance!

2 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 3

If you want a sweet strawberry mousse like filling, mix equal parts of buttercream and strawberry sleeve filling together.

If you want a not TOO sweet, and fluffier authentic-like strawberry mousse. Take 2 cups of liquid Rich's bettercreme and whip it with some strawberry hershey's syrup, it gives it a beautiful pastel pink color too! It is fine at room temp. for up to 5 days as well

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:55am
post #3 of 3

I agree with the other poster about Rich's bettercream or a product called Frostin Pride which is pretty much the same thing. It's a non dairy frosting. I would take either strawberry flavored syrup or extract, pink gel paste and add it to the whipped frosting.

If you do decide to keep the cakes in the fridge I would also fold in some sliced strawberries. My first choice would be 2 cups heavy cream, one small box instant vanilla or white chocolate pudding and one cup sliced strawberries. Whip the cream and pudding until peaks form fold in berries. I use this mousse recipe for almost all of my cakes and they love it.

I have never had a cake tier slide using this mousse. I have had one slide when I use the gel fillings. That was a nightmare. As for the fondant I have use Satin Ice and marshmallow fondant and keep my cakes refrigerated all the time and never had any problems with sweating. I have heard other complain of cakes sweating when using Fondarific fondant. Might be because Fondarific is softer and doesn't harden like other fondants.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%