Why I Am In Love With My Electronic Cutter For Parties

Decorating By theremingtons Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 6:58pm by theremingtons

theremingtons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theremingtons Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:48am
post #1 of 3

So, I am a scrapbooker who also loves to decorate cakes.
I've had my cricut for three years now (I have the 6x12 one and now the big one icon_smile.gif)
I am also a person who LOVES a theme to go ALL THE WAY at a party.
So, when I started to cut gumpaste with my cricut (I bought Linda McClure's DVD from www dot creativedesignscakes dot com) I just knew I'd be in heaven.
YEP. I used my cutter for my three year old's birthday, but didn't know about gumpaste at the time. I cut Mickey Mouse and Friends out of paper, glued them on toothpicks, had them surrounding the cake and CAUGHT DONALDS BUTT ON FIRE! Haven't had to use a fire extinguisher with my gumpaste cutouts. Of course, now I've got that story...
For a baby shower for a friend who was adopting a baby from Korea, I made a banner, cake, and decorations in the exact same font/designs. I was in HEAVEN!

I used the exact same machine to do it all, too...talk about multi tasking! I have a separate blade/housing unit for cake decorating, and of course separate mats. I have NEVER had any problems, either...I mean, if your gumpaste is thick enough to get on anything, it is wrong anyway.

I posted a picture of the banner and cake...they aren't the closest pictures ever, but you get the idea. (Don't judge the cake too hard, either...remember, I'm no pro...)

I am so in love with using my cricut to cut gumpaste and banners and fabric...I used it just yesterday (I've done this twice this weekicon_biggrin.gif ) to cut some adorable shoes, lipsticks, fingernail polish, etc, for cupcake toppers for a girls night in "My Favorite Things...Beauty edition" party we had.

What do you love about your electronic cutting device???? What I really want is a Gazelle...that thing ROCKS! I am loving Linda's DVD's and can't wait until I get the next one, too...cause I am learning how to use Make the Cut and really want to try her latest ideas. Okay, so enough gushing...I guess I should just say THANKS LINDA and I hope to meet you soon!

2 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 3

Really great designs you have here! I love that we can personalize cakes and make logos and design elements almost exact!

You may want to try sugarveil also - I am a convert from gumpaste to sugarveil when needing to cut really delicate designs.

theremingtons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theremingtons Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 3

Nah, I love my gumpaste and won't be using sugar veil again. I tried it before and found I just liked gumpaste better. icon_cool.gif BUT thanks for the suggestion...maybe I will try it again one day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%