Writing On Fondant And/or Gum Paste?!

Decorating By graceashley8 Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 5:46pm by kitty122000

graceashley8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graceashley8 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:34am
post #1 of 7

I was wondering what most of you use to write on Fondant or Gum Paste, I tried those edible pens, but they do not seem to work well?! I tried them on Gum paste; do you have to leave the Gum Paste to dry before decorating it?? This is the first time I have ever worked with either, so I am still learning any advice about either of them would be wonderful!icon_smile.gif Thank you!

Another question, I have saw a lot of places that says you can flavor them, should I flavor them? or... what?!

Maybe if I tell you what I am trying to make it will help. I am making a poker themed cake and I want the cards and the chips edible, once again should I use Fondant or Gum paste??!icon_smile.gif

6 replies
juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:24am
post #2 of 7

I used Wilton Icing Writers on this cake...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1308181

You can find them on the Wilton website.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:36am
post #3 of 7

I used fondant for the cards on my poker table cake posted in my pics. For the lettering, spades, hearts, etc. I used the Wilton food coloring markers in the fine tip done in freehand. on the Queen's card I used an edible image to get all the detailing exact. It worked perfectly.

HTH!

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:37am
post #4 of 7

Oh, and for the chips I used molded Wilton's disks. Very easy to make!

graceashley8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graceashley8 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for this. I tried using those markers and they just weren't working for me, but I was using Gum Paste, could that be why? I am going to attempt to make some fondant today and try it out. I already have the Gum Paste Made, rolled and cut out, but wasn't sure about it. and I will check out what you said about the chips! Thank you and if you all have any more advice PLEASE let me in on it!icon_smile.gif This cake is going out this weekend, it's for family so that is a good thing!icon_smile.gif Good Practice!

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 7

I used gumpaste for the cards and chip on my poker table, I let them dry completely then painted on the with gel color and extract or vodka
LL
LL

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 7

I used gumpaste for the cards and chips on my poker table, I let them dry completely then painted on the with gel color and extract or vodka
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%