Fondant, Icing, And Other Questions :] New Here!

Decorating By BeckieLea Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 6:08pm by BeckieLea

BeckieLea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckieLea Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:22am
post #1 of 8

I am working on getting into decorating cakes.. I have yet to start. I have several questions that I need to get answered before I feel that I am ready. So any advice you all have is welcomed.

What kind of icing is best used on top of fondant for writing or small decorations? Does it turn out well to use icing on top of fondant? Should I only make fondant or gumpaste decorations to use on top of fondant?

Oh, and what is the difference between gumpaste and sugarpaste? What is a good brand of gumpaste or sugarpaste? Are these two mostly used for decorations?

Oh, I am looking into using Satin Ice fondant... how far will two pounds go, like could I do a two tier (10in and 8in) with it and make a few decorations? Also, usually how long does a tub last? I am sure I can find this out after I order it but would like to know upfront, how do you store it?

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 8

Hi There,Welcome to CC!!

You can use any icing to write on top of fondant.I use Buttercream all the time and many use Royal icing..it just depends what you have on hand.I don't think there is a difference between gumpaste and sugarpaste just other names used..I don't have a specific product in mind as most make their own.You could dabble with the ready made wilton...A 2 pound tub of Satin Ice is small and won't cover a 10 and 8 inch cake..proabaly the 8 inch only...with a few decorations maybe...HTH

BeckieLea Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you for the help, especially with the fondant question about how far it will go!

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 8

Sugarpaste is another term for fondant and gumpaste is a product used to make models, flowers and accessories. Gumpaste is more plyable and dries quicker than fondant.

I use almost anything to decorate on fondant, royal icing, fondant, gumpaste and sometimes but very rarely buttercream.

Enjoy cake decorating.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckieLea

Thank you for the help, especially with the fondant question about how far it will go!

Here is a good chart for fondant amounts: http://www.earlenescakes.com/Fondantchart.html

I do find I use less than the chart as I roll my fondant thinner than most.

For gumpaste, I like the Nicholas Lodge recipe (its on his site); I also like the premade Wilton (please - don't anyone blast me on this - it works fine for me).

In the past I always used Satin Ice but a friend converted me over the the Michelle Foster fondant recipe (the recipe is on this site). Personally I don't notice much of a difference in taste, but its a heck of a lot cheaper and I like the way it rolls out. Also, you can flavor it as desired when mixing.

BeckieLea Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you for the help and tips!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 8

Welcome to cc and congratulations on the baby on the way.

I think it is good that you are asking questions before buying anything, the advice already given is great. If you have more questions just ask anytime. Members are so helpful, I have learned so much myself on cc.

BeckieLea Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you! For me to get started- im a bit of a perfectionist- I am planning on starting with buttercream and when I have more money move to fondant... It will be a little cheaper for me to start this- I am also a little more curious about starting with buttercream to me it seems harder to do- like edging and I think it will help with learning to pipe better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%