Heating Core Question

Decorating By ilovemylittleone Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 3:10am by DreamMaker2

ilovemylittleone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovemylittleone Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:34am
post #1 of 15

Extremely new in cake decorating. I am making a 12" round two layer cake. Is it necessary to use a heating core? Is there any way around it if so? Any suggestions?

14 replies
The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:38am
post #2 of 15

You can use flower nails also. Or Bake Even Strips. I don't use either, although I'm going to purchase a heating core soon to see if it makes any difference. I didn't like the flower nails or bake even strips, but some people swear by them.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:40am
post #3 of 15

I use flower nails for any cake 12" or larger. I actually have never baked them without it so I can't say if it really makes too much of a difference but the cakes seem to bake really evenly icon_smile.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:40am
post #4 of 15

I hate the heating core because it is so big. I use a flower nail. After you pour your batter in your pan, spray a flower nail (like you use to make a rose) with pam and put it face DOWN in the center of your batter. After you bake and cool, place your wire rack on the cake making sure that the flower nail is pokin through one of the holes on your rack and flip over. The hole in the cake will be way smaller than a heating core. I use a nail for everything bigger than an 8". HTH.

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:47am
post #5 of 15

Upside-down flower nails. For a 12 inch layer, I use 3 nails, prepared with cake release. Place them in a triangle pattern near the center of the pan and pour in your batter. You can even place them after you've put your batter in the pan. I also wrap the pans in wet bake-even strips, to keep the sides of the cake from over-cooking before the center has a chance to bake (learned that the hard way!) HTH icon_smile.gif

anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:06am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I hate the heating core because it is so big. I use a flower nail. After you pour your batter in your pan, spray a flower nail (like you use to make a rose) with pam and put it face DOWN in the center of your batter. After you bake and cool, place your wire rack on the cake making sure that the flower nail is pokin through one of the holes on your rack and flip over. The hole in the cake will be way smaller than a heating core. I use a nail for everything bigger than an 8". HTH.

I do what ddaigle does. I am not a fan of the heating core.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:14am
post #7 of 15

I've never used flower nails or heating cores. Never saw a need. I just grease-only-no-flour my pans, using the baking strips, and they turn out fine. Doesn't matter how large the cake is. I did this for 16" rounds and even with the 14x22 sheet pan.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:25am
post #8 of 15

Never used a heating core, only baking strips on a 16" square.

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 9:45am
post #9 of 15

I went into my local supply shop and asked if they had any flower nails, but they had no idea of what i ment even after trying to explain it. icon_eek.gif is it due to me being in the uk? are they only available in the U.S? what should i be asking/looking for? im still very new to this but i cant belive they couldnt help me, they are not very friendly in there either! im getting very frustrated with trying to buy the things i need! help please? icon_cry.gif

ilovemylittleone Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:32pm
post #10 of 15

Is there a website or somewhere on cakecentral that gives reliable baking times, cups of batter needed and oven temp. guide.

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaCalvert

Is there a website or somewhere on cakecentral that gives reliable baking times, cups of batter needed and oven temp. guide.

the wilton website has a serving chart that also has all of that info on it. i cant send the link though as im on my phone, sorry.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 9:51pm
post #12 of 15

Here's a flower nail, maybe take in the picture
LL

ilovemylittleone Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:14pm
post #13 of 15

About how many flower nails would I need for a 12" round?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:42am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaCalvert

About how many flower nails would I need for a 12" round?

In my kitchen ..... none.

DreamMaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamMaker2 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:10am
post #15 of 15

For years I have used just the baking strips, but had never heard of using heating cores or flower nails until I joined CC. (I LOVE THIS PLACE!) I had left over batter today - so just for giggles, I thought I'd do a "test" to see if there was any difference using the strips and flower nails. I baked three 4" rounds.

The first one had the baking strip AND flower nail. It cooked perfectly level.

The second had just the baking strip - it crowned about 1/2"

And the third had neither - the darned thing could have been made into Mt. Everest ... it crowned about 2 inched in the center. My husband was so amazed he even took pictures of them! (He thought I was a genius until I told him I learned from all of you!)

Maybe it's just me - but I sure can see the difference. Indydebi - you're my HERO! (If I don't flour a pan, they don't come out in one piece!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%