Cover Cakeboard In Duct Tape?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 2:50pm by LEHLA

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 14

Can I cover a cakeboard in duct tape or is that a food safety no-no?

13 replies
JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 14

I am not sure of the reason, but in Louisiana the helth department will make you remove any silver duct tape from your business. Again, I am not sure why. You can not even have it to pack boxes with.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 14

I would imagine duck tape not to be very food safe as it is extreamly sticky so would attract alsorts of dust and fluff. I would not be certain on that just my own thoughts.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:00am
post #4 of 14

No, duct tape isn't food safe.

Rae

confectionsofahousewife Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:17am
post #5 of 14

I figured as much but thought I would see what others thought. I would like to cover a cakeboard in black and white stripes somehow (without using fondant) and thought duct tape might be a good solution.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:18am
post #6 of 14

have you smelled the fumes it gives off.

some bad ju-ju there!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:43am
post #7 of 14

Could you find some striped wrapping paper. I have a black and white polka dot paper that I love to use. I cover it with contact paper, then set a cake board on it.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:56am
post #8 of 14

I have also used fabric on cake boards. Then cover with contact paper. The contact paper is not food safe either, so I always have cake on board cut to just a little bigger than cooked cake, enough for the icing to cover, so it isn't seen.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:00am
post #9 of 14

I use fabric or wrapping paper covered with food-safe clear plastic. It comes on a big roll. I usually find it at Michaels or Hobby Lobby in the regular gift wrapping paper section.

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:04am
post #10 of 14

How about black and white paper made for the checker board and cover with clear contact paper

confectionsofahousewife Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:47pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I was hoping not to have to buy something else. Also, I have read on here that contact paper IS food safe and I have read that it ISN'T food safe. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

LEHLA Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 14

I read an article on cc yesterday that someone contacted the contact paper company and CLEAR contact paper is food safe since it has no dye or ink (no lead) Good Luck !!! icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:41pm
post #13 of 14

Why not cover your board with duct tape, then cover that with clear Contact paper?

LEHLA Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:50pm
post #14 of 14

I agree with Doug i dont think the fumes would be a great addition to the cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%