Transporting 3D Stand Up Teddy

Decorating By Salma Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 11:15am by noahsmummy

Salma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Salma Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 10

Hi. I was wondering how to transport a 3D stand up teddy (made in the Wilton pan), or similar cakes that are tall and heavy over long distances, especially if you dont have a cake underneath that you can dowel through.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9 replies
CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 10

I've never had any issues transporting the Wilton 3D bear on its own or stacked on another cake. It has a flat enough base that unless you really shake it hard, it won't topple over. Just make sure it's on a flat section of your floorboard or trunk of your car and you should be fine.

Salma Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:54am
post #3 of 10

thank you for the reply... when i transported it, i was afraid it would topple over... guess I'll try gluing it with some more frosting next time...

btw, have you also transported the 3d train made from the wilton pan? (I stress the wilton part because I'm sure one made by carving would be broader)... I'm always afaid of that toppling too :S

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:11am
post #4 of 10

I use a sharpened dowel to secure questionable cakes directly to the cake board.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:22am
post #5 of 10

on the subject of transporting, while im sure it been discussed before.. how do people go about transporting tires? im scarred to pre-stack them... =S sorry for hijacking! =(

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:24am
post #6 of 10

I do the same as juleebug. A couple of weeks ago I sent one back to college with my daughter. I just pushed the dowels into the cake board and sent it on it's merry way. If it can survive 2 hours in a car with Miss Brake Happy, I'm sure your's will be fine. icon_smile.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:41am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

on the subject of transporting, while im sure it been discussed before.. how do people go about transporting tires? im scarred to pre-stack them... =S sorry for hijacking! =(

I'll assume you meant tiers, not tires... icon_biggrin.gif

I live in the Appalachian Mountains and I tranport 3 tier stacked cakes all the time.

Last winter I transported a 3 tier, double layer, stacked 50th Anniversary cake 15 miles... 20 minutes after a 16 hour snowstorm... 5 miles up a mountain with a 45 degree incline... and numerous 90 degree curves... and it arrived in perfect condition.

I stacked and doweled it like any other cake, loaded it in the back of my SUV, put no-slip shelf liner under the cake box, and surrounded it with styrofoam packaging material.

noahsmummy Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:20am
post #8 of 10

haha shhhh. i am the worlds worst speller and typer.. unless its big words. for some reason they are easy.. its the little ones that get me.. icon_redface.gif

ok, so its possible! i have a request for a TIERE cake.. lol.. i spelt it right this time! anyway, my car struggles with the hill its that big, but i dont think i can really set it up there soo, i kinda wanted to have it stacked before i left. you give me faith. thanks. =)

Salma Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:03am
post #9 of 10

nah noahsmummy, wouldnt consider that hijacking, since this was im getting to learn so much moreicon_smile.gif

thank you for the suggestions, kind bakers.... one clarification though.... are your cakeboards plywood or cardboard?

noahsmummy Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:15am
post #10 of 10

ohk, good good.. im in the clear! lol.

as for what is used for the cakeboards, i think people use a variety of things.. alot of people seem to use "foam core" boards.. but here in aus they cost alot of money.. so i dont sway that way myself. im not a pro tho, so i usually re-use my same ply-wood board (i got a big one because i ALWAYS make big cakes) and just cover it in different paper to suit the theme of the cake along with some clear contact.=) then rip it off and start again for the next cake.

BUT i was talking to my grandparents the other day (who have owned a number of pastry shops in their days, both are pastry chefs) and they let me in on a little secret.. they said that if you can get your hands on some THICK cardboard boxes, cut them to the shape/size you want, cover them, and they will be perfect. If you cant find a thick enough box, you can just cut two or three or whatever of the sizes and glue them together.

apparently they used to do this allllllll the time in their shops and never had a problem.=) unless you are doing a super heavy cake, then use plywood, and nail in some little feet to make it easier to pick up. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%