Does Mmf Yellow Over Time?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 11:49pm by cakesrock

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 3

I used some MMF I had in the pantry for about a month to make towers for a castle cake. Then I made a new batch for the building part. I noticed a considerable difference between the two - the newly mixed MMF was so much whiter! Does it yellow over time? Or could it be that since I put the MMF over ice cream cones for my towers, it just looks darker?

TIA

2 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 3

I have stored mine in the refridgerator for up to 3 weeks without any change in color. Could the problem be that you stored yours in the panty? Not sure at all here, just guessing. Also, "fresh" fondant will look a tiny bit different from "dry" fondant.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the response. It had dried for 1 day, so that's probably it. I guess I will have to wait until the last minute to do the towers since I want them to match the cake. I really like to work ahead, since I am so pressed for time, but I don't see any alternative... OR would keeping it sealed in a plastic container avoid the drying and the discoloration?? I used to store my MMF in the fridge, but was told it wasn't necessary and I really need the fridge space! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%