How Do I Make Glow In The Dark Icing?

Decorating By shellzey Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 3:31am by 7yyrt

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 5:37am
post #1 of 12

so my friend asked me to do her son's birthday cake.....an avatar cake. i saw the movie tonight and thought it would be fabulous to do a jungle type scene on the cake with the glowing flowers and maybe the tree on top that has the glowing leaves hanging.

any thoughts? has anyone made glow in the dark icing before and had good success?

thank you
shelley

11 replies
FSandra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FSandra Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 12

I would really like to know that as well because the idea sounds rather interesting.

1456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1456 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 12

I watch one cake challenge on the food network ( hero / villian) that she used some sort of piping gel to make it glow when you turned out the lights. but I don't know the exact recipe you could maybe look on the food network website and see if you can find the episode that i mean . good luck

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 12

After doing a little googling, the only food-safe thing you can do is make jello using tonic water as apparently quinine glows under black light (so you'd need a black light bulb too). Can't think of many kids that would like the taste of quinine though!

Ooh, looking at the above reply, maybe reduce down some tonic water and use that to make home-made piping gel?

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 12

There was a thread about this last year.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-619795-.html

My daughter had a "Black Light" party for her 18th birthday last year. I decorated her cake with hot pink, lime green and bright orange buttercream icing and we put a black light behind it. It glowed when all the lights were off. It was pretty awesome. All the people who came wore white or lightly colored shirts and we had several black lights hanging around the room. Everything glowed!

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 12

Recent discussion:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-670102-tonic.html

I don't know of the proportions, Can anyone else offer this?

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 12

I tried the piping gel mixed with tonic with little success - can't wait to try again!

bellabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabakes Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 12
Jack031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jack031 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 12

I have done this before you could use tonic water or mountain due and then place it under a black light, it was awesome

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 12

It's so funny that you posted this because the first thing I thought of when I watched that movie was how incredible it would be to interpret the scenes into cake. Please post a pic when you're done!

I think the tonic water is the best way to go with this as well.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:43am
post #11 of 12

Link to a thread in which I wrote a post that explains this. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-655941-.html

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:31am
post #12 of 12

Peanut butter glows under black light. It would be easy to coat the leaves with it.

The easiest way to see what you have that glows, is just bring a light into the kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%