Sandlot Cake Revisited...

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 7:00pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:43am
post #1 of 5

I am doing a cake for next week based on the movie the sandlot. I looked on youtube and found a video that shows an aerial view of the field. I am attaching a photo that I took of the view with my cell phone (high quality, I know). I am also including the link below to the youtube video. Both aerial shots occur within the first minute of the video.

Anyway, onto my question. The main part of the cake (an 8 inch square) is going to be the baseball field. I have looked around at lots of baseball field cakes and they all look nice and neat. The sandlot field is so scruffy looking. I plan on using graham cracker crumbs to do the main dirt parts but the rest of the field is kind of a mix of grass and dirt. Not manicured lawn, kwim? I don't have a good handle on how to get that look. Any thoughts?

4 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:53am
post #2 of 5

i would use the "grass" multi-opening tip. really short.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 5

Ok I forgot to attach the photo! Duh.

mommyle: I am definitely planning on using the grass tip I'm just not sure how to make it look like scruffy grass mixed with dirt instead of just nice grass.

Other thoughts?
LL

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 5

Use the Spatula Striping method by putting green and a brown/tan icing in your bag at the same time. The colors should blend as you pipe them to give the field that spotty look you're going for.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

Use the Spatula Striping method by putting green and a brown/tan icing in your bag at the same time. The colors should blend as you pipe them to give the field that spotty look you're going for.

Ooh, that's a good idea thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%