Sweet, Moist Sugar Cookie Recipe

Baking By elliebuff Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 4:52am by bridge72

elliebuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliebuff Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 10

I have tried so many sugar cookie recipes and have yet to find that "one" that seems to have the balance I am looking for. I want something that I can use to roll out for cut outs (I don't mind if I need to put the dough in the fridge to get that consistency), but I want the taste you get from recipes that people typically say don't work too well for cut outs. Is this a pipedream?

I have tried the NFSC and they are good with icing , but don't have that sweetness I am looking for on their own.

TIA!

9 replies
kiki07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki07 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 10

I cut the NFSC recipe in half, add one more egg, use salted butter and omit the additional salt. I find them to be sweeter this way, sweet enough to stand on their own. Actually, I prefer them without the icing but that could be because I have inhaled too much powdered sugar!

krazyb5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazyb5 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 10

Try this one, is a very good one I got it from the internet, they were used to make the melted snowmen cookies, everyone loved them when I made them. Good luck

Ingredients
1 cup margarine
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions
Cream the margarine and add the sugar gradually. Beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at time, mixing well after each addition.
Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt gradually to the creamed mixture, stirring in by hand. Cover and chill dough overnight.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Roll dough out on a floured surface to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick and cut into your favorite shapes. Place cookies onto the prepared baking sheets.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 6 to 8 minutes or until cookie has a golden appearance.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 10

KHalstead I tried your modified NFSC and they tasted great(used white chocolate pudding) but the did spread quite a bit...am I doing something wrong? This was even after I placed them in the freezer before baking...

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 10

Definitely try KHalstead's modified recipe!

I just did and used butterscotch pudding. They were definitely sweeter and very tasty! They had a carmel like taste by using the butterscotch pudding.

I think they are the most recent pics in my gallery here. They baked up really nice also.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 10

maybe try adding a little more flour, giving you a stiffer dough.

I just did some cookies and have never had any spreading......you can see the feet on this cookie and how exact the cut of the dough is and how it kept its shape.
LL

bridge72 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks KHalstead! Next time I will definitely try using more flour. That just means the last batch I made I get to eat lol! And BTW, your cookie is fab-u-lous, Love it! thumbs_up.gif

elliebuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliebuff Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks, everyone! I will have to give KHalstead's a try!

bridge72 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:52am
post #10 of 10

KHalstead, I took your advice and added more flour to the dough I previously made and they turned out great icon_biggrin.gif Held their shape just like you said they would...Thanks so much for the awesome recipe and advice. My daughter took a bite of them and said, mmm! When kids like them you know you have a winner thumbs_up.gif Now I have to decide which pudding flavor I will use next???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%