What Homemade Fondant Recipe Do You Use?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 12:52pm by ZlatkaT

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 17

Just wondering what homemade fondant others are using? I've been using a simple MMF with water, marshmallows and icing sugar. It works, but I'm interested to hear others opinions out there and maybe experiment with some other homemade fondant?
I've heard Rhonda's Ultimate is great and so is Michele Fosters. Why do you like the one you're using? Is it inexpensive to make? And is it simple to make?
TIA! icon_smile.gif

16 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 17

Sometimes I use MMF with shortening, glycerine and flavouring added.
It turns out a creamy white.
If I want a whiter fondant I use my own verson of a rolled fondant with gelatine, water, glucose, glycerine, shortening, sugar and flavouring

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 17

I really like Michelle Foster's. It is so easy to work with and tastes good. It is also so simple to make and I have never had any problems with it.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 17

Michele Foster's is wonderful! I actually posted it originally with her permission, but she has updated it with variations since then - I haven't tried mmf, but I hate the taste of marshmallows so wasn't interested.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 17

Add me as another huge fan of Michele Foster's Fondant! The stuff is amazing. I have no reason to even want to try anything else. In fact, I'm going to go make another batch as soon as I put my little one down for a nap. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 17

I agree, Michele Foster's Fondant is the best. No reason for me to ever try anything else either. That stuff is awesome. It taste wonderful and it's a good high quailty fondant that is so easy to work with. I am not a fan of marshmallow fondant.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 17

I see Michele Foster's is a 'Must try'! Are you all using the updated version?

AngelaM Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 17
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 17

I use the original, I have found I don't like using the heavy cream, and the original called for 3 packets of gelatin which adds up to 2 TBSP not 3, but I have gone back and forth with that!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 17

I use the updated version myself. But I'm sure either one is good.

AngelaM Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:22pm
post #11 of 17

Oh and you don't need to use cream. Michele posted a tip that milk is fine, and that's the only way I've ever made it.

Taleesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taleesa Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:35am
post #12 of 17

I can't wait to try it. How does it compare to satin ice or fondx?

AngelaM Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:39am
post #13 of 17

IMO it's very similar to Satin Ice, maybe a little less sticky if anything.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:17am
post #14 of 17

I like Michele Foster's with melted white chocolate in it. It tastes amazing. Easy to work with too.

menas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
menas Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:35am
post #15 of 17

The only fondant I have ever tasted is Wilton & IT"S AWFUL! (I know, I live a shealtered life) Does this fondant really taste good or does it taste good as far as fondant is concerned? Know what I mean?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:49am
post #16 of 17

As for what home-made fondant I use: none, unless there's no other way around it. It's just too time-consuming and life's too short! When I HAVE to make fondant, I use Michele Foster's original, which I like better than the updated version (to each his/her own, I guess), but generally I use FondX or Satin Ice.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:52pm
post #17 of 17

I experimented with MFF (Michel Foster Fondant) and with a recipe I found in Czech website. And combined the two together. It calls "False marzipan". I like the taste, so my family and friends. But I noticed, that they ate the cake first, peeled fondant out and ate the fondant separately as last. This is the only fondant I use. The downside is the color, is naturally Ivory, not pure white.
If you are interested, PM me, I would share.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%