People Have No Concept Of Serving Amounts/sizes

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 2:28am by OMGitsaLisa

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:29am
post #1 of 31

I did a small 2 tier 8/6 cake. The customer picked it up and her hubby later called saying there was NO way they would have enough cake it was too small. I offered her, at the time of placing the order, the larger size 2 tier but she had told me it would be too much cake. So I found out they went and purchased a cake from Costco to serve along with the cake they purchased from me! icon_mad.gif

I think some people cut HUGE pieces of cake or they look at something and instantly decide its not big enough! I think next time someone orders that size again I will let them know how big they should cut the party size and if they need a larger piece offer them the larger tiered cake with more servings.

30 replies
l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:42am
post #2 of 31

i think a lot of people still cut wedge pieces instead of 2x2 square pieces like most of the cutting charts. gets aggrivating. I get "it doesn't have to be really big, just enough to feed 60 people" but of course they want it for $20. all apart of the trade

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:50am
post #3 of 31

How many servings did she want?

I do 9"/6" tiers to serve 30....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:17am
post #4 of 31

Yeah....how many servings did they want? A 6/8 serves 12/24 = 36. Unless they cut it in pie-shaped wedges and then they'll get only about 14.

Education is part of our job.

"This cake will serve 36 based on cutting them in 1x2x4" rectangles. If you prefer larger servings or if you plan to cut them in pie-shaped pieces, then you will probably need to order a larger cake."

tarheelgirl Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:28am
post #5 of 31

I told them it would feed around 35! They need around 35 but I guess the cake "looked" like it would not be enough. I'm sure they are cutting into pie shaped pieces. This is a repeat customer which usually buys sheets and just rounds never a stacked cake.

tarheelgirl Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:29am
post #6 of 31

I told them it would feed around 35! They need around 35 but I guess the cake "looked" like it would not be enough. I'm sure they are cutting into pie shaped pieces. This is a repeat customer which usually buys sheets and just rounds never a stacked cake. I'm thinking they assumed it would "look" large since it was stacked.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:31am
post #7 of 31

I would say an 8"/6" would be hard for someone not a wedding server to cut into 35 slices....

Like I said according to Earlene's chart a 9"/6" serves around 30 (just over, I think). I know Indy uses the wedding chart which is slightly more servings per tier but she uses it as her base to charge for.

I would say though that theoretically wedding servers should know how to cut the pieces but party people would not (thus wilton has the two charts, one for parties and one for weddings). So I can see how they had trouble getting the servings, especially depending on if the tiers were a full 4" or not.

Not to say you are wrong at all!!! Just saying I can see how they may have felt that...maybe you could charge per the wedding slice chart but give a more realistic "count" for the "average joe"?

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:35am
post #8 of 31

Had the same exact problem today! Customer ordered a small 3 tier cake which I told them would serve 40 (8,6,4). Her rude a$$ mother in law picked the cake up and said $XXX for that???? My husband chimed in and said "Well it a lot of hours and artistic ability to creat that" ....so then the girl who ordered the cake called and said she was worried that it wouldn't feed 40-50 people. So I told her that I had offered her 2 different sizes of cakes... one to feed 40 and one to feed 60 and she chose this one. Then I emailed her Wilton's serving chart and cutting directions : )

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:56am
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Had the same exact problem today! Customer ordered a small 3 tier cake which I told them would serve 40 (8,6,4). Her rude a$$ mother in law picked the cake up and said $XXX for that???? My husband chimed in and said "Well it a lot of hours and artistic ability to creat that" ....so then the girl who ordered the cake called and said she was worried that it wouldn't feed 40-50 people. So I told her that I had offered her 2 different sizes of cakes... one to feed 40 and one to feed 60 and she chose this one. Then I emailed her Wilton's serving chart and cutting directions : )

I always give a cutting chart with my cakes. No sense confusing a customer and they appreciate the "freebie". Most people say they don't want too much anyway, most everyone says "just a small piece"

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:38am
post #10 of 31

Pie shaped pieces for us if it's a birthday cake. My family would just be mad if you gave them a little 1x2 slice. They'd think I lost my marbles. I think that slice is designed to be as a dessert after a meal and not the main event. It's the reason everyone is amazed on how small. I wonder just who decided that was "the serving size".

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:59am
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

I wonder just who decided that was "the serving size".

(mod edited.)

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:33am
post #12 of 31

*snip*

EDIT: Dang Im tired...I missed over half the thread. That's what I get for skimming!

JustToEatCake Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:38am
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGitsaLisa

Quote:

I wonder just who decided that was "the serving size".

Certainly not a fattie, I can tell you that much.

That was extremely rude.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:04am
post #14 of 31
Quote:

Pie shaped pieces for us if it's a birthday cake. My family would just be mad if you gave them a little 1x2 slice. They'd think I lost my marbles. I think that slice is designed to be as a dessert after a meal and not the main event. It's the reason everyone is amazed on how small. I wonder just who decided that was "the serving size".

Hell yeah! If I were doing this as a business, standard 1x2x4 inch servings. For my family, they'd just blink, and insult me on how stingy I was...and I am by no means a fattie icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

To be honest, most 'fatties' I know would eat less chocolate and cake than I do, both generally and in a sitting.

Maybe the term was 'cake hog'? I'll confess to being a skinny cakehog.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:55am
post #15 of 31

Same problem here last week. Customer needs to feed 35, orders a stacked 8 and 10", then emails me they ran out of cake. I explained what size of servings the cake should feed when she ordered it, but they must have gone ahead and cut pie wedges for everybody.

I don't know what the answer is--I have even sent along a cutting chart and have had people ignore it. icon_confused.gif

indydebi Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 9:58am
post #16 of 31

"The cake will serve 35 if you cut it properly. If your family eats like Jethro Bodine, then you might want to consider buying a bigger cake." icon_rolleyes.gif

I HAVE used that line ... sold 'em a bigger cake, too! thumbs_up.gif

nellie0228 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nellie0228 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:01am
post #17 of 31

I only do cakes for family, but I do tell them the sizes so they can "picture the cake in their head". More than once they have opted for a larger cake. I think what people don't realize is that a tiered cake is usually tall, so even though their piece isn't as wide as a sheet cake, it is much taller and still the same amount of cake.

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:47am
post #18 of 31

If I would dare to serve or sell anybody a "piece" of cake sized 1x2" here in Germany I would not have any customers and family and friends would probably never speak to me again! lol
So when a customer comes with a picture out of a book or from a website and wants that same cake for the indicated 175 servings, I am having lots fun in drawing a 1x2" square and telling them that this is what everyone would be able to eat. Causes huge disbelief and laughter every time. An 8" cake will serve about 12-14 in Germany, depending on the height and the type of cake.

BTW - when we have a family party, every person eats usually 2-3 pieces of cake - our size of course. And not one of us is overweight icon_wink.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 12:09pm
post #19 of 31

Well, I get to be the honorary "cake cutter" at my cousins wedding next weekend. icon_razz.gif Not by choice I may say.. Her cake WILL get 74 servings. I am also using the Wilton chart and Debi's cutting guide. You will always have some of those Jethro Bodine eaters!! icon_biggrin.gif ( I am officially stealing that line Deb!)

I've never had an issue with this but its time to start pushing the larger cake on people for parties. And a cake cutting guide. Honestly at our family parties I cut a thin slice of cake. You have ice cream and other goodies why anyone needs a huge hunk of cake is beyond me! And I always welcome seconds!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:19pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by de_montsoreau

If I would dare to serve or sell anybody a "piece" of cake sized 1x2" here in Germany I would not have any customers and family and friends would probably never speak to me again! lol
So when a customer comes with a picture out of a book or from a website and wants that same cake for the indicated 175 servings, I am having lots fun in drawing a 1x2" square and telling them that this is what everyone would be able to eat. Causes huge disbelief and laughter every time. An 8" cake will serve about 12-14 in Germany, depending on the height and the type of cake.

BTW - when we have a family party, every person eats usually 2-3 pieces of cake - our size of course. And not one of us is overweight icon_wink.gif

Yes, but going by the one photo you have posted, your cakes are the typical short, squat 2-3in deep cakes common here in Europe. I make American sized cakes and not one of my cakes has been under 4in tall, more commonly 5-6in in height by the time they are filled (3 times) and iced. So my pieces are easily twice as tall and have more filling, hence you only need a smaller piece. Does that make sense? I have never once in 5 years had anyone tell me they didn't have enough cake, often they have some left, and I quote sizes strictly on 1x2xheight of cake pieces. Some people have chosen larger cakes, but they are still paying me for the equivalent no. of standard size pieces! icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:26pm
post #21 of 31

Someone here on CC has 3 pieces of cake crafted out of wood that he/she uses at tastings or consults to show exactly what a serving size is. Eliminates confusion. That way,if the client wants bigger slices, they have to order more cake. I'm not in business, but if I were, this is what I would do.

I can't remember who does this, otherwise I would give credit!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:42pm
post #22 of 31

I've been at several parties where my cakes have been served - and one wedding. It amazes me how many people cut out a 5 or 6 inch square hunk of cake and lop it on a plate and then how much of that gets thrown away! I stepped in at the wedding - and they ended up with extra cake - for family parties I provide bigger cakes and have educated them in how to cut a cake.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:56pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

Someone here on CC has 3 pieces of cake crafted out of wood that he/she uses at tastings or consults to show exactly what a serving size is. Eliminates confusion. That way,if the client wants bigger slices, they have to order more cake. I'm not in business, but if I were, this is what I would do.

I can't remember who does this, otherwise I would give credit!

That would be me thumbs_up.gif , photo is in my album somewhere! Cut like Indydebi promotes (in rectangles for all shapes, not that silly circle nonsense that Wilton tries to get us to do!), you can often get even more slices than they say. For example, using that method, I have just drawn on the bottom of my 9in petal pan to get a cutting guide for my client - and I can get 24 full 1x2 in pieces (some a little larger as they are shaped oddly). Wilton say that pan serves 18 at most using the circle method (which is what I charged her for)!!!

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:14pm
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Yes, but going by the one photo you have posted, your cakes are the typical short, squat 2-3in deep cakes common here in Europe. I make American sized cakes and not one of my cakes has been under 4in tall, more commonly 5-6in in height by the time they are filled (3 times) and iced. So my pieces are easily twice as tall and have more filling, hence you only need a smaller piece. Does that make sense? I have never once in 5 years had anyone tell me they didn't have enough cake, often they have some left, and I quote sizes strictly on 1x2xheight of cake pieces. Some people have chosen larger cakes, but they are still paying me for the equivalent no. of standard size pieces! icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

Wrong icon_biggrin.gif
That cake is not typical.
Have you ever seen a proper Black Forrest Cake? icon_wink.gif They are easily 5" high.
Typically, my cakes aren't under 4" high, all things considered.
We just eat more cake icon_wink.gif
LL

MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by de_montsoreau

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Wrong icon_biggrin.gif
That cake is not typical.
Have you ever seen a proper Black Forrest Cake? icon_wink.gif They are easily 5" high.

Typically, my cakes aren't under 4" high, all things considered.
We just eat more cake icon_wink.gif

Containing mainly air in the whipped cream and air-filled cake - so yes, you need a bigger portion to feel like you've actually eaten something. American style cakes are much more compact and sweet/richer, you just need less to feel satisfied. People can pig out on my cakes as much as they want, I'm just not going to give it to them for free to do so icon_wink.gif! I can eat a 'big' slice of Black Forest, no problems, I just couldn't do it with the kind of cakes I make, they are too deliciously rich, a 1x2 in piece is plenty.

JustToEatCake Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:56pm
post #26 of 31

I never said anything about pricing. Seems some mistook my post. If I sold cakes I'd sell them based on the 1x2 price also (more $).

I wonder how many of you that your mother's made cakes and when someone asked for a piece they went to the kitchen and cut a circle out of the middle of a 8" cake then sliced along the sides. Mine certainly didn't. And my SO at 6ft and 210lbs would say "that's YOUR piece, where's mine". When we want cake, we want cake!

Every time I see a cake that is cut in an advertisement or a piece of cake on a plate they always show a wedge and not a 1x2 piece, because that is the norm. If there is one, and advertisement, I haven't seen it. Even the logo for CC is a wedge. Even the the pic of the black forest cake PP shows, shows there were wedges cut from it.

I think there ARE wedding slices but my point was isn't the way most people cut their cakes, and most want a larger piece if the cake is main attraction.

I made a cake yesterday for my niece's birthday, we went to dinner and the cake wasn't even cut (she took it home). If it had been, only small slices would have been in order. I still say that (1x2) is a size for after a meal for most people. If that's not the case then why are so many people surprised when they see the serving size and think it won't feed enough? And I guarantee most have made or had slices of 4" layer cakes.

I think you all should double your price and sell bigger serving sizes.lol
Sign us,

Just the Bodine family all 45 of us. haha

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 4:49pm
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladiesofthehouse

Same problem here last week. Customer needs to feed 35, orders a stacked 8 and 10", then emails me they ran out of cake. I explained what size of servings the cake should feed when she ordered it, but they must have gone ahead and cut pie wedges for everybody.

I don't know what the answer is--I have even sent along a cutting chart and have had people ignore it. icon_confused.gif

What??? icon_eek.gif
She had a 10 and an 8 and couldn't feed 30???? Crazy! That's plenty cake! I guess we need to start asking if they are planning on serving the cake as the only food! I'm not sure about everyone else, but we always have food first then cake at our bday parties. Most people are stuffed after eating and just want a small piece of cake.

BlackCoffee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackCoffee Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:12pm
post #28 of 31

I send along a cutting chart with every cake that goes out the door. I also tell them that if they don't follow the chart and my instructions (don't let guests cut their own cake, etc), I can't be held responsible.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:37pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladiesofthehouse

What??? icon_eek.gif
She had a 10 and an 8 and couldn't feed 30???? Crazy! That's plenty cake! I guess we need to start asking if they are planning on serving the cake as the only food! I'm not sure about everyone else, but we always have food first then cake at our bday parties. Most people are stuffed after eating and just want a small piece of cake.

She wanted to have cake to send home with everybody, so I told her with an 8 and 10" they will each get a piece at the party and there should be plenty for everyone that wants to take a piece home. I was clear about the size of each piece that should be cut; obviously that advice went right out the window.

This wasn't the only food by far--it was following a potluck!

indydebi Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 8:41pm
post #30 of 31
Quote:

I wonder how many of you that your mother's made cakes and when someone asked for a piece they went to the kitchen and cut a circle out of the middle of a 8" cake then sliced along the sides.

I agree. Saw Martha Stewart one time asnwering a viewer's question on how to cut a cake and she did the circle method, saying, "Just like your mother cut your birthday cake." I'm sitting there thinking, "What planet are YOU from?"

Quote:
Quote:

Every time I see a cake that is cut in an advertisement or a piece of cake on a plate they always show a wedge and not a 1x2 piece, because that is the norm.

Ads ALWAYS show things in big sizes. Ever see a kid eat cereal in a cereal commercial? Who in the WORLD gives a 5 year old a big giant spoon (One that I would use to serve corn at dinner!) to eat cereal!!!??? icon_confused.gif But they show the bigger sizes to make it look more appealing.

A standard serving size is just that ... a standard serving size. KFC determines a serving size to be 2 pieces of chicken. But if my family eats like Jethro Bodine and we all eat 4 pcs of chicken at a sitting, then a bucket of 16 pcs will only serve 4 of my family,not all 8 of us. So it's MY responsibility to order more chicken. It's not KFC'sjob to up the price and make the chicken pieces bigger.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%