Has Anyone Tried The Trans Fat Free Sweetexz High Ratio?

Decorating By giraffe11 Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 12:59am by hollylikescake

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:02am
post #1 of 10

I am interested in using it for my frosting. I prefer high ratio, but I would really like to avoid trans fats if it doesn't make a terrible difference.
Thanks!

9 replies
giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 10

Wow. I'm kind of surprised that no one has tried it. I can only find it available in 50 lb quantities, so I was hoping someone had tried it before I got 50 lbs! But maybe I'll just go ahead and bite the bullet. It probably can't be any worse than trans-fat free Crisco. Then I can report back and fill everyone else in.

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 10

I use sweetex exclusively and love it, but it's packaged by the cake supply shop and I don't know if it's trans-fat free or not. Are there two different options available (regular and trans-fat free)?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 10

Most professional shortenings DO have both versions available.

AmandaLP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLP Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:07am
post #5 of 10

Grr, I posted about this before! JanH gave me a resource that had trans fat free shortening in a smaller quantity. I dont think it was Sweetex brand, but it was smaller than 50 lbs icon_smile.gif

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:18am
post #6 of 10

I have been using it for a while. It's the only hi ratio my local supplier carries. It is adequate. I don't think it is quite as stable as the original, but better than Crisco.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 10

The Baker's Kitchen sells sweetex in smaller quantities, and I saw they had the trans-free stuff. (It's not called sweetex because of some sort of repackaging politics, but it is the same stuff). I haven't tried it though because I was too scared. icon_redface.gif Would love to know if there's much of a difference.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:23am
post #8 of 10

Well, the entire debate over ANY trans-fat-free shortening has been that without the trans fats, American decorator buttercreams tend to be sloppy messes that melt off cakes at the slightest provocation. icon_cool.gif

Hi ratio shortening, of any sort, allows for adding more liquid into something and to have that liquid stay in suspension better--BUT, apparently without the trans-fats, icings don't have the grip and staying power enough to fight gravity very well.................

I'm sticking with my regular Sweetex and praying that they keep producing it...........or else I'll have to find a way to make my own black market trans-fats..........

Rae

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:37am
post #9 of 10

Good point Rae, although cake decorating has been around since long before shortening was introduced; according to Wikipedia, the hydrogenization (uh, is that the right word?) process was not discovered until the 1920's. Then again...do y'all recall what they used instead of shortening? It's ok, I'll wait...

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:59am
post #10 of 10

I thought high-ratio meant shortening with trans fat? I've been using crisco (50/50 with butter) because I just can't bring myself to put the trans-fat in - sorry, but I have always been one of those crazy health nuts. Getting me to use shortening at all is such a stretch for me. I got into baking before I got into decorating because I wanted to controll the ingredients that went into what we ate.

All that to say - if there is such a thing as a high ratio shortening that is trans fat free - please tell me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%