Illinois Licensing And Insurance Questions

Business By in2cakes2 Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 3:42pm by in2cakes2

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:26am
post #1 of 4

Hi all, is there anyone from Illinois that would be willing to tell me where they get their business insurance and some licensing questions? I seem to be getting the run-a-round from the county and the village. Thanks so much for any info!

3 replies
in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 4

Anyone please. I know fridays are busy, sorry.

QueenBee1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenBee1 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:10am
post #3 of 4

I can at least help with the insurance question. I get my insurance from The Hartford. Very reasonable annual rate. I don't have the exact amount handy right now, but somewhere around $350 per year.

The licensing thing is a whole other matter. I got the same runaround from the City of Chicago. I don't know whether you are opening a retail location or planning to operate a home based business (renting commercial space). That will factor into the equation. I can tell you that, if you are planning to operate a home based business, you will likely find that the city doesn't seem to know how to handle those licensing questions very well.

Good luck to you!!

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks Queenbee1! I am renting space from a small breakfast/lunch restaurant and I live in a different county from where the restaurant is so I am kinda confused. The lady I am renting from has been there forever it seems and is trying to help me through the steps but I don't think she really undrstands. I asked her where she gets her insurance and she said she just uses the insurance that came with her license. I told her that most of the people on here recommend at least 1 mil and she giggled and said she never heard of that, though the next day she called me and said she asked around and was shocked that I was right and she needed it too.
I know I need to get a business license, take the food safety and sanitation class, and get insurance but there seems to me I remember someone on here saying there was something more. Sorry this is so long!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%