What Do You Do When Your Discouraged?

Decorating By tirechic Updated 27 Feb 2010 , 5:54pm by cakesrock

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 12

I have not been at this very long, and for a little while now I have been getting more and more discouraged. I am a wilton Instructor, and that side has been rewarding, but when I go to make cakes personally, I feel I am making no improvements. I thought I would be better by now. What do you do to get motivated again? I hope I put this in the right forum. Any feedback would be great. Thank you.....

11 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 12

I take "cake breaks". I've been decorating for 3 years, but I take a hiatus every 6 months until I get bit by the decorating bug again. I think when you stay away for a bit it helps you appreciate it again. JMHO icon_smile.gif

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 12

Red wine. icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 12

One thing I like to do is to learn a new technique. It keeps things interesting for me. Is there an ICES DOS anywhere near where you are? (they usually have classes 2x a year and demos - a fun weekend) I always like the challenge of learning something new -and the feeling of accomplishment when I have nailed it! It may be that you are just bored with it - spice it up some! thumbs_up.gif

tirechic Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 12

I am still excited about doing cakes, and have ideas and designs in my head, but, they just dont come out the way I want them too, I want them to look at least like im making progress, each cake should be better than the last at least in technique anyways. I used to get comments about every cake i posted and now im lucky if anyone looks, and the same thing happens when I show ppl my cake photos in my Cake book, so now im starting the think maybe im not very good at this or maybe this is the best im gonna get. What should I do, it frustrating to look at something and think youve done well, and then no one is on that same page.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 12:14am
post #6 of 12

Your cakes are fantastic! The sheer volume of cakes on here is the only reason nobody is looking. Chin up and keep cakin'!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 12:26am
post #7 of 12

Challenge yourself!! Pick a Ron Ben Israel cake or a Scott Woolley cake and recreate it! Believe me, you'll learn more than you ever thought possible doing that! icon_biggrin.gif (Oh and Angela's idea won't hurt either!) icon_lol.gif

tirechic Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:47am
post #8 of 12

TY! to all who replied, it really does mean alot!!! Do I just go to his website or is there books at amazon or something?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:54am
post #9 of 12

To keep yourself interested, try and keep learning. New techniques are always coming out and it's not only a good thing for you as a teacher, but it will keep you motivated.
Edna icon_smile.gif

The wine might help too!..lol

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:11am
post #10 of 12

Look in the CC galleries. Look on the internet. I just mentioned two of thousands who are very capable decorators.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:18pm
post #11 of 12

I always pick new things that I want to learn. Sometimes it's a new gumpaste flower, other times it is something wild out of my imagination. Stretch into things that you aren't SURE you can do. That's how I improve...trying new things that I thought I wouldn't ever be able to do.
My recent "pet projects" were airbrushing (love now!) and just recently started trying to figure out the whole "cricut thing". Push yourself beyond what you always do. Another thing I do is google searches for totally cool cakes ~ then I try to recreate certain elements that I like.

Have Fun! And if you need a break...take a break. No harm in that!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirechic

I am still excited about doing cakes, and have ideas and designs in my head, but, they just dont come out the way I want them too, I want them to look at least like im making progress, each cake should be better than the last at least in technique anyways. I used to get comments about every cake i posted and now im lucky if anyone looks, and the same thing happens when I show ppl my cake photos in my Cake book, so now im starting the think maybe im not very good at this or maybe this is the best im gonna get. What should I do, it frustrating to look at something and think youve done well, and then no one is on that same page.

I think everyone feels the same way you do. I have a design in my head and it doesn't come out the way I envisioned the majority of the time. But I lower my standards a little and know that I've learned a lot and next time it will be closer to the vision.
I also regularly try new techniques (e.g. shoe and FBCT) and do it at least 3X until I get it right - or at least where I'm not embarassed to show it to anyone. You do see an improvement when you look at your 1st, 2nd and 3rd shoe- believe me....
And the decorators on this website are a tough crowd. I post my photos on Facebook and get lots of nice compliments when I don't receive 1 on CC. People who don't decorate are impressed by the simplest things (and don't see all the imperfections like we all do).
But don't give up - just give yourself more practice and persmission to do a crappy job your first time! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%