Website Advice

Business By pastryqueen9 Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 8:04pm by snocilla

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 7

Ok...I've looked at a lot of different websites and they all seem so very nice! I don't have the money to hire someone to build a website for me and I am pretty computer savy and figure with the right leads I can probably get a nice comprehensive website going on my own. Can anyone recommend a hosting company that has good prices and good templates to work from that give you options for adding your own flare? I am currently with Yahoo but I truly dislike their templates. Has anyone used dreamweaver to build a website if so how did you do it? I just seems so complicated!

6 replies
PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 7

I used my internet provider as my host company (it's just easier to have it included with that bill). I used Microsoft's FrontPage to design my own website. There is an instruction book you can buy separately to help you out. I also don't like templates particularly for a artistic business. I would recommend you find someone to design a logo for you. In my opinion that is an important component of a website.

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 7

Try GoDaddy.com. They seem to have decent hosting rates and a lot of variety in their templates.

VistaPrint also offers "free" websites, but I'm not sure how much variety they have or how much control you would have.

Good luck!

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 7

i used yahoo small business and it was really easy, just point and click.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 7

I used Yahoo SiteBuilder. While its very user friendly, the templates are pretty popular, so it can be hard to customize your site. You can, however create your own template, which is what I did.

I strongly suggest making a list of sites you like as well as what you like about them. Also make a list of what you DON'T like. Lastly, write out your wording before ever starting the site. It will make the actual building go so much faster.

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 7

Great information! Thanks to you all!

Quote:
Quote:

You can, however create your own template, which is what I did.

Thanks Jillmakescakes! I didn't know you could make your own template in sitebuilder! That's really good to know. Do you remember how to do it? icon_biggrin.gif

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 7

Try Wix.com. They have very nice contemporary templates!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%