Most Requested Cake Flavor Combos

Decorating By blueirus Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 7:11pm by Ronbob1984

blueirus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueirus Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 36

Hi, I am making a birthday cake for my best friends 33rd birthday. She is the absolute best friend so I want to make it really special. I was wondering what your most requested cake and filling combination is? Wanna do something cool but don't want to ask her questions and ruin the surprise. Thanks.

35 replies
Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 36

Lemon cake with strawberry cream cheese. I add chopped strawberries. Not the jelly.
Red V. with cream cheese
Chocolate cake with mocha

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 36

I was going to ask the same thing.
For me it is red-velvet is the wedding winner.
For birthday cakes, seems like vanilla is a favorite.
I personally love lemon, but have never had a request for it.

BTW. I am a hobby baker for friends and family, with an occasional referral here and there. I'm sure the business side is different.

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 36

Vanilla with strawberry mousse is also a good one.

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 36

chocolate with white chocolate ganache filling iced in buttercream

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 36

Pina Colada w/ Pineapple/ IMBC filling
Choc.w/raspberry/ filling & mocha IMBC
Beth's orange cake with IMBC

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 36

For birthday cakes my most request flavor is white velvet with SMBC. Second most requested chocolate WASC with chocolate ganache. I love the orange dreamsicle WASC. It is so yummy!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 36

wedding cakes-white choc. raspberry cake w/ cheesecake mousse filling

birthday cakes - (round/square,etc.) choc. cake w/ choc. ganache filling

sheet cakes- half white/half chocolate (so predictable)

blueirus Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 36

KHalstead do you mind sharing the recipe for the white choc. raspberry cake and the cheesecake mousse? That sounds super yummy to me. icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 36

of course not, but I must warn you I'm not a scratch girl!

white choc. raspberry cake:

1 box white cake mix
1 small box instant white choc. pudding (dry)
1-1/3 c. water
1/3 c. veg. oil
3 lg. egg whites
6 oz. white choc. (I use baker's brand and it comes in a 6 oz. bar)
1-2 tsp. raspberry extract (or 2-3 capfuls of lorann raspberry oil) depends on how strong you like the raspberry flavor.

Mix everything but the white chocolate together. Then shave the white choc. into the cake batter using a vegetable peeler and fold it in with a spatula. Bake per normal cake mix directions.
Because you're folding the white choc. into the batter, you get these little pockets of white chocolate throughout the whole cake, I found when I used white choc. chips or even added melted and cooled white chocolate to the batter the white choc. always sunk to the bottom of the cake, with the shavings it stays suspended in the cake batter nicely throughout the baking process.

Cheesecake mousse:

2 c. liquid Rich's bettercreme non-dairy vanilla icing (pink carton)
1 c. whole milk
1 small package cheesecake instant pudding mix

Whip the Rich's bettercreme w/ the pudding mix until you get stiff peaks, then gradually add in the 1 c. of milk while continuing to beat.

this is fabulous just piped into a choc. cup too or eaten with a spoon! YUMMMYYYYY

Also, it's safe at room temp. for up to 5 days so it's awesome for wedding cakes!!
enjoy

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:59pm
post #11 of 36

Add 2 heaping tablespoons creamy peanut butter to that cheesecake mousse - and it's to die for. I use that on my dark chocolate fudge cake with chocolate smbc. Mmmm, Mmmm - I don't sell cakes really, but it's my personal fave.

blueirus Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:11pm
post #12 of 36

Thanks for the recipe can't wait to make it. Just one ? what is the Rich's non-dairy stuff and where do I get it? Sorry to be such a bother I just really wanna try it! icon_rolleyes.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:22pm
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianocat

Pina Colada w/ Pineapple/ IMBC filling
Choc.w/raspberry/ filling & mocha IMBC
Beth's orange cake with IMBC

yum! what kind of pineapple do you add to the IMBC? fresh? canned crushed? spread?

thanks,
diane

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:30pm
post #14 of 36

I would definetly do KHalstead's recipe,
I just did one similar but I also added Chambord liquer to the mix. For the filling I used "Rasberry Chambord Filling", it's posted here on CC, but I had to use fresh strawberries since there were no rasberries at the store. The recipe also calls for the Rasberry Purre to soak the cake layers, and I also added Chabord liquer to it as well. I made this cake for my dear neighbor that was turning 43, and boy did everybody loved it. My sister requested this same recipe for her wedding cake, I was so amazed because she always has to find something wrong with recipes that I try for the first time.

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:32pm
post #15 of 36

Opps the correct name for the filling is "Chambord Cream Cheese Raspberry Filling" and was posted by stresseddessert

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:43pm
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

For birthday cakes my most request flavor is white velvet with SMBC. Second most requested chocolate WASC with chocolate ganache. I love the orange dreamsicle WASC. It is so yummy!

What's white velvet cake? Of course I've seen red and pink, but what constitues a cake to be "velvet"?

KHalstead Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:47pm
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueirus

Thanks for the recipe can't wait to make it. Just one ? what is the Rich's non-dairy stuff and where do I get it? Sorry to be such a bother I just really wanna try it! icon_rolleyes.gif

I get mine at Gorden Food Service GFS, you can buy it already whipped at Sam's club in a big bucket or you can buy it at some grocery stores as well depending on where you live.

Rich's bettercreme is the whipped cream style frosting that bakeries use on their cakes (like wal-mart and grocery stores too), it's a much fluffier and lighter, less sweet icing than regular buttercream. It comes in a carton (like milk) the old fashioned paper cartons you know, and it's liquid like heavy whipping cream is.

I actually use it in place of heavy whipping cream too, I needed cream and didn't have any so I made ganache using the rich's bettercreme and it was awesome!

jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:56pm
post #18 of 36

I'm curious about this bettercreme stuff too. I'm in Canada and have never seen it. I wonder if it's the same as Nutriwhip which comes in a carton in the refrigerator section but is basically a stable whipping cream? Any ideas?

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 12:03am
post #19 of 36

That white choc raspberry cake sounds delicious! And thanks for that tip about shaving the white chocolate vs. using chips.

blueirus Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 12:06am
post #20 of 36

Thanks for all the cool idea's! It's super helpful because it takes into consideration different tastes. KHalstead - I'm definitely not a "scratch" girl either (two boys one 4 and at home all day). I will call around and see. I'm in Chandler, Az so someone's gotta have it!

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:25pm
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

of course not, but I must warn you I'm not a scratch girl!

Cheesecake mousse:

2 c. liquid Rich's bettercreme non-dairy vanilla icing (pink carton)
1 c. whole milk
1 small package cheesecake instant pudding mix

Whip the Rich's bettercreme w/ the pudding mix until you get stiff peaks, then gradually add in the 1 c. of milk while continuing to beat.

this is fabulous just piped into a choc. cup too or eaten with a spoon! YUMMMYYYYY

Also, it's safe at room temp. for up to 5 days so it's awesome for wedding cakes!!
enjoy

Have you tried making chocolate mousse? If so, do you use the chocolate flavored Rich's with chocolate pudding?

KHalstead Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:08pm
post #22 of 36

just regular vanilla w/ choc. pudding, it's not REALLY dark in color but it's good and chocolaty!

I also LOVE white choc. pudding in the rich's

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm
post #23 of 36

can't wait to try ANY of these combos!!!!!!

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #24 of 36

Khalstead,

Is your standard mousse recipe/base 2 c. rich's, 1 box pudding mix and 1 c whole milk? Does it come out light and fluffly? When do you add other ingredients or don't use the pudding, if at all?

I'm looking for a good basic recipe that I can use all the time just changing out the pudding flavor and/or adding other flavor items to give flavor.

Also, thanks for the White Choc. Raspberry recipe. I will try it this weekend.

KHalstead Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:18pm
post #25 of 36

that's my recipe!

that's exactly what I do, change out the pudding.......the pumpkin spice mousse is amazing at Thanksgiving time! mmmmmmmmm

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:42pm
post #26 of 36

Great flavor combo's....mmmmm...gotta try some of those recipes and ideas! icon_biggrin.gif

maddieandlilysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddieandlilysmommy Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:54pm
post #27 of 36

I used to live in Arizona and you could get Pastry Pride...pretty much the same thing as bettercream....at Smart and Final.

Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:08pm
post #28 of 36

My most requested is my "Arnold Palmer". A black tea flavored cake with a lemonade buttercream. It is so good!!!

dcarylmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcarylmk Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:33pm
post #29 of 36

Could you post the recipe for the black tea flavored cake please? My hubby drinks Arnold Palmers almost every day. I'm sure he would love this cake!!

Thanks!!

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:41pm
post #30 of 36

I am making a WASC cake with cheesecake and Apricot fillings for a function tomorrow. It is supposed to be amazing...I'll let you know after I try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%