Attaching White Choc. Figures To Dowels

Decorating By keonicakes Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 2:46pm by DianeLM

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:13am
post #1 of 6

I'm wondering what the best method of attaching white chocolate to wooden dowels is. The white choc. figures are about 4" high and are a little heavy. The mold I used is for making lolli's however I need them attached to wooden dowels as they are the figures for a carousel. Just concerned about them falling off as white choc. can get soft. Any suggestions most appreciated.
(my hubby wants to wrap the dowels in metallic curling ribbon or wrapping paper... I would think that anything I used to "glue" the figures on would slide off to easily)

5 replies
keonicakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 6

anyone?

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 6

Have you tried using melted white chocolate? Or is that not strong enough for your figures?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 6

I don't think they would slide off your dowels. Why don't you do a test. Make your figure, let it get hard again and then with a very sharp end, push your dowel through the figure. I made a carousel (see photos) and used decorated sugar cookies for the horses. I then attached them to candy sticks using melted chocoate.

keonicakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 6

I was thinking that white choc. wouldn't be strong enough because it gets so soft.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 6

Whenever I need to attach a chocolate piece to a dowel, here's what I do:

Heat a metal skewer over a flame (I use my gas stovetop) for a few seconds.

Poke the skewer into the chocolate piece and twist. Let the heat do the work. You will need to repeat the heating the poking step several times as the skewer cools off. Each time you poke the skewer in, twirl it a little wider so you make a hole large enough for the dowel. Be sure to wipe off the dowel before heating it again.

Once the hole is big enough for the dowel, slide it into your chocolate piece while the chocolate inside the hole is still melted from the last skewer poke. As the chocolate sets up, it will 'grab' the dowel and hold very tight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%