My Chocolate Cake Fell Apart...

Baking By officialamysue Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 3:56am by mom2twogrlz

officialamysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
officialamysue Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:12am
post #1 of 9

So I made a chocolate cake for the first time, Great grandmas recipe i had found.. Well I followed directions and my cake fell apart!! icon_cry.gif Do I use it or bake a new one? I'm trying to educate myself on sheet cakes, but im making a half sheet cake 2 layers filled. Chocolates supposed to go on top and white cake on the bottom and am going to use grasshopper frosting to lay in between. HELP!! icon_sad.gif

8 replies
CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:26am
post #2 of 9

not sure what you should do about right now, but if the recipe is good i just add a box of chocolate pudding to my chocolate cake because its great tasting but way to fally aparty! hope you get an anwser though!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:30am
post #3 of 9

It kind of depends on how badly it fell apart. If it just split, and it's the top layer on a sheet cake with a good base cake underneath, I'd just slap some butter cream down and stick it back together. If it is a crumbly mess, I'd probably rebake.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:39am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by officialamysue

So I made a chocolate cake for the first time, Great grandmas recipe i had found.. Well I followed directions and my cake fell apart!! icon_cry.gif

What were the directions? Methods do evolve over time and this might make a difference.

Also, did you cool the cake in the pan or cool on a cooling rack. And if you cooled on a cooling rack, did you cool the layer with the hump side up.

HTH

officialamysue Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:25am
post #5 of 9

Let it cool all the way and when it came out it was just crumbly, DH is the taste tester hence I dont eat cakeicon_smile.gif (nutritionist here) I just like to bake haha; he had said it did taste a little dry but very chocolatey so i'm thinking it was too dried... how can i make it more moisture?

It said to take dry ingredients and sift together, take wet ingredients and mix til fluffly and pour in dry ingredients gradually. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

I'm still a newb at baking, so hopefully I can make better recipes!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:34am
post #6 of 9

If you cool your cakes in the pan, the shortening/flour will set up again and act like glue which makes it difficult to get your cake layer out in one piece.

Baking at 375F is much higher than currently recommended, and can easily dry out your cake layer.

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:35am
post #7 of 9

wow, 375 is way too hot, I always bake at 320 regardless of what the recipe says. Try baking longer at lower temp

officialamysue Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:44am
post #8 of 9

thank you!! I will look at that thread tomorrow, this baking is wearing me out now haha and im not even 30 yet! I will redo the recipe again tomorrow hopefully it comes out better! So do you take the cake out right away once you get it out of the oven?

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:56am
post #9 of 9

Leave it in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack. But make sure you flip it again, you want it to cool flat side down. If you leave it hump side down it will crack due to gravity pulling on the sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%