Coloring Mmf

Baking By sweetstellatreats Updated 27 Feb 2010 , 7:47am by robyndmy

sweetstellatreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetstellatreats Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, so I am going to attempt making MMF for the first time, but I haven't heard that coloring it is easy. If I have to make several different colors, can I not add the color to the MMF after making it? Why is this so hard?
Also, when do I add the tylose powder to stiffen it up?
THANKS!!!!!!!!

9 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:38am
post #2 of 10

It's not hard to add color to MMF. It takes muscle - because it's labor intensive if you're coloring 20 lbs of fondant at once - but it's not hard.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:08am
post #3 of 10

If you were making just one color it's easier to do when the marshmallows are first melted and you haven't added any PS to it yet. But since you need several colors then start out with the plain white, let it set up over night in the fridge and then when you take it back out, soften it up for a few seconds in the microwave...15-30 works for me. Then divided it up into the number of colors you need (wear plastic gloves if you have them...the kind you use when you color your hair...if you have them) and then using a toothpick add a small amount of color onto the fondant piece and knead in. Once you get the fondant pliable it's easy to knead the color in. Add a bit at a time until you get the shade you want. Now red and black and navy blue are hard...they take a lot of color and then would do well to go back wrapped up into the fridge for another day or so to let the color deepen. You may need to really add in more crisco to keep this pliable since too much color can dry out your fondant and it will start looking like it's cracking...just add more crisco to make it pliable again. Once you get the color right then you can wrap it back up and put it back into the fridge or use it to make whatever you need the colors for or to roll out for a cake.

I just did this for a fiesta cake I'm working on...7 different colors! Whew! But the result is SOOOO worth it!

Have fun playing!

Cat

sweetstellatreats Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 10

thanks guys! I am going to tackle this goal hopefully this weekend icon_smile.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 10

If you don't have plastic gloves, just dip a finger into your shortening and rub it on your hands to create a very thin layer. Make sure to get on the tips of your fingers as well.

It will look like it is staining your hands, but when you wash them with soap, it comes right off! icon_smile.gif

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 10

A small amount of cocoa power or melted chocolate goes a long way to help making dark colored fondant. If you need dark colors, and the flavors won't clash, you could make chocolate fondant. I've had people tell me they actually like the chocolate fondant but don't eat white.

sweetstellatreats Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 10

the choc. fondant doesn't taste like choc??

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 10

I make a MMF that has only marshmallows, powdered sugar, and water. To make chocolate fondant I add 2 ounces of melted semi sweet chocolate and 2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder. When mixed with 2 pounds of powdered sugar and a package of marshmallows the chocolate flavor is very light. It's chocolate, but still much more sweet than anything else. If you are covering a cake with dark fondant you would notice the chocolate flavor, but if only making decorations or accents with dark colored fondant the chocolate might not be very noticable. I coat left over fondant with crisco and seal it in a zipper bag in the refrigerator for making cut out decorations later. The left over fondant is a bit more difficult to work with, but it sure beats kneading a huge fresh batch for a few decorations.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 10

To make chocolate fondant I replace 1/3 cup powdered sugar with 1/3 cup cocoa...and it's SOOOO good!

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:47am
post #10 of 10

Ooh, I really want to try chocolate fondant now!

When I'm making multiple colours, I will usually add in about half the icing sugar so that the mmf isn't as sticky anymore, but not quite stiff yet. Then I'll divide and colour, so kneading isn't as tough yet. Once the colours are in, I keep going with icing sugar until the mmf is ready.

Though I'm not sure that's the quickest way to do it, it seems the least painful! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%