Glucose Or Corn Syrup...can They Be Interchangeable?

Baking By SallyBratt Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 4:43am by SallyBratt

SallyBratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SallyBratt Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make some gumpaste but I used up all my glucose making modelling chocolate. I'm off to see if I can find glucose in my area but if I can't, can I sub light corn syrup? Are the 2 interchangeable or is corn syrup too runny?

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:36am
post #2 of 6

No, corn syrup has a lot more water in it than glucose.

I've never seen a gum paste recipe with corn syrup or glucose in it. I like Nick Lodge's recipe:

The following recipe will make approximately 2 pounds of gumpaste.

4 - Large Egg Whites
1 - 2 lb. bag 10x powdered sugar
11 - Level teaspoons *Tylose (Available in our online store)
4 - Teaspoons shortening (Crisco)

1. Place the egg whites in a Kitchen Aid mixer bowl, fitted with the flat paddle.

2. Turn the mixer on high speed for 10 seconds to break up the egg whites.

3. Reserve 1 cup of the powdered sugar and set aside.

4. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed, slowly add the remaining sugar. This will make a soft consistency royal icing.

5. Turn up the speed to setting 3 or 4 for about two minutes.
During this time measure off the Tylose into a small container.

6. Make sure the mixture is at the soft-peak stage. It should look shiny, like meringue and the peaks fall over. (If coloring the entire batch, add the paste color at this stage, making it a shade darker than the desired color.)

7. Turn the mixer to the slow setting and sprinkle the Tylose in over a 5 second time period. Next, turn the speed up to the high setting for a few seconds. (This will thicken the mixture.)

8. Scrape the mixture out of the bowl onto a work surface that has been sprinkled with some of the reserved 1 cup of powdered sugar. Place the shortening on your hands and knead the paste, adding enough of the reserved powdered sugar to form a soft but not sticky dough. You can check by pinching with your fingers and they should come away clean. Place the finished paste in a
zip-top bag, then place the bagged paste in a second bag and seal well.

9. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours if possible before using to mature the paste.

10. Before use, remove from refrigerator and allow the paste to come to room temperature. Take a small amount of shortening on the end of your finger and knead this into the paste. If you are coloring the paste, add the paste color at this stage.

11. Always store the paste in the zip-top bags and return to the refrigerator when you are not using the paste. Will keep under refrigeration for approximately 6 months. You can keep the paste longer by freezing. Be sure to use zip-top freezer bags. If you will be freezing a batch of paste, allow it to mature for 24 hours in the refrigerator first before placing into the freezer. The paste can be kept in the freezer for several years with no problems.

*This recipe is for Tylose C Composition 1000 which is usually under the brand names of
JEM Cutters and Confectionery Art Int'l.
If using Pfeil & Holding Tylose C, reduce the amount of Tylose to 9½ teaspoons for a 4 egg white batch, for best results.

Rae

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:40am
post #3 of 6

Sorry to barge in , but thank you for the recipe

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:46am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for sharing!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:19am
post #5 of 6

i just printed cuttingedgecakeart.com g/p recipe. when you go to the site. you give name and e-mail address for this recipe. they use corn syrup and gelatin. it is to use with the cricut machine. linda mclures is just about the same. she use to have hers on her site . deseretdesigns. but not any more. she has all her recipes on her last dvd. anyway. i am anxious to try this recipe. there is a thread tonite. with the c/cer from the cuttingedgecakeart.com. going to show us how she will use the CAKECRICUT. anxious to see that too. she says she will keep us up to date on how she uses it. so yes, she makes her g/p for the cricut similiar to linda mclures. hth

SallyBratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SallyBratt Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:43am
post #6 of 6

I got this recipe at my school. They gave us the Nick Lodge recipe too but I haven't tried it yet. My teacher said it dries faster so when I'm doing sculpting that wouldn't be such a good idea. I usually mix the recipe I posted with fondant.

Tylose gumpaste recipe

* 2tbsp tylose (CMC)
1lb icing sugar
1 heaping tbsp glucose
3 tbsp warm water
1 tbsp lemon juice

Instructions
combine sifted icing sugar (you MUST sift it) and tylose in a stand mixer. Mix warm water, lemon juice and glucose and stir till the glucose dissolves a bit. Turn mixer on to stir and carefully add the glucose mixture making sure it doesnt touch the sides. Mix on low until you start to hear a clunking sound of everything combining into a thick paste. Not all of it will mix in so turn it out onto a countertop, grease your hands with shortening and knead it till it all combines.

If its too dry add extra water in very small amounts, just drops at a time, until you get the right consistency. It will be very sticky until the water mixes in so youll need to keep your hands greased.

Ive never had it where its too wet but if it happens just keep kneading it and it should come together. If it doesnt then add more icing sugar a tiny bit at a time.

separate into small balls, wrap in plastic wrap and store in an air tight container or ziplock bag. this keeps for a long timea few months. You can freeze it but make sure it thaws slowly in the fridge before you try to use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%