Does It Matter What Type Of Oven You May Have?

Decorating By ayerim979 Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 11:32pm by ayerim979

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 8

I am needing a new over(non comercial) does it matter if its a gas or electric oven? I currently have a gas oven at home but Im curious about an electric one for my loft. Does anyone know if the baking is different with the oven being electric or gas?

Thank you for reading

7 replies
kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 8

I'm no expert, but we just moved into an apartment that has an electric oven, after using a gas one all my life and I hate it!

The oven itself has to be set 25 degrees lower because otherwise it burns everything! Let's just say the first cheesecake I baked in it, I threw away!

I hope this helps you decide. Sorry I couldn't be more positive.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 8

Most people who have had gas say that they will never go back to eletric.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 8

If you have used and liked a gas oven I'd suggest you stay with what you're familiar with. If it's working well for you why switch. I've has a gas range and oven for 34 years and wouldn't want to have to go to electric. I've had occassion to go down thr road and use my dd's oven to bake a cake. It baked okay but sure makes me appreciate my familiar gas oven.

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 8

I currently have an electric oven......and I hate it! I use my Mom's gas one on occassion and like it much better, however, my house does not have gas. As kathys90 stated, I also have to set my oven 25 degrees lower than what the recipe calls for.

maidofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maidofcake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 8

Go with what you feel comfortable with. I have both: an electric convection wall oven and a gas oven range. I typically use the wall unit for my cakes and my gas range for my yeast breads. Love them both.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 8

i grew up with gas oven and have had to use electric for the past 10yrs (our street doesnt have gas) and i want a gas oven desperately

but in saying that, i know 2 chefs and they love and prefer electric ovens - they say they can control the tempreture better

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for your wonderful responses. The reason why I am aiming for a electric oven is because well first of all I am hardly ever home, and I am always staying at my place of business (it has a loft) and (for instance) It was my step sons birthday yesterday and I had to drive an hour home just to bake the cake.

I love my gas oven but I dont have a gas connection here at my business (not cake business) So I wanted to put an elecrical stove in my loft that way I wouldn't have to spend more money to make the proper adjustments to install a gas one. (Im remodeling the bathroom in my loft and dont want to spend more $$$)

Anyhow well I am definately going to have to think about it. I really appreciate all of your input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%