Question On Building Dam For Filling Please!

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 2:39pm by shannycakers

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 12

Please help me with this question. I saw on sugar shack dvd that you should build a dam on every cake by adding powered sugar to buttercream and needing till you get a playdough consistency. Does everyone do this to prevent blow outs? What do you all do for your dams on every cake. I have done this but it hurts my hands and is very time consuming forming long things of dough and pushing and squeezing. Is there anothe way? Does everyone build a thick dam? I have a stacked cake due Sat, and am not looking forward to doing 3 cakes with this dam technique.. please help! I dont want a blow out or oozing icing!! :

11 replies
QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 12

I use Sugarshack's buttercream and icing techniques as well, and I do use a dam for all fillings other than buttercream. I don't mix my buttercream to a playdough consistency - mine is less stiff. I prep a piping bag with a coupler. I make my dam icing stiff enough so that I can put it into the bag with a gloved hand, but not so stiff that it's no longer sticky. It's not so stiff that I can't squeeze it out of the piping bag without giving myself a hernia. I'd suggest trying to make your icing a little less stiff and giving that a try. It's worked well for me, with no blow-outs!

Wildrose6633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 12

I use the same method as Queen of Sweets. Just make your buttercream stiff by adding extra powder sugar. Works like a charm icon_biggrin.gif

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 12

I also use Sugarshacks technique with a little softer icing.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 12

I also use Sugarshacks technique with a little softer icing.

ebredhawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebredhawk Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 12

i do everything that the sugarshack video says, except making the icing for the dam a stiffer consistency. i've found that as long as you pipe a dam and let the cake settle for at least 12 hours (you can always put weight on top to make sure it's completely settled), you won't have a problem with that unsightly bulge we all hate!

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 12

I use a dam, but I don't thicken my buttercream either. As ebredhawk said, you can avoid the bulge by giving the cake time to settle.

shannycakers Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you all so much for your help! I will try making the icing less stiff today, I really appreciate all your insight icon_smile.gif One more thing, everyone says around 12 hours to prevent bulging for the cake to settle..is there any way to reduce that time if you have a last minute cake? Thanks!!

ebredhawk Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 12

absolutely!! you can always place a spare cake board on top of the cake with a can of soup or two to weigh it down. that will speed along the settling process, although i would still let it sit like that for a little bit to make sure any bulge that could form will do so before you ice it/cover it! good luck!

shannycakers Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 12

wonderful thank you!! Is it safe to dirty ice the cake while its settling? I have thought that may be ok, since the decorating comes later? or does that hindler the settling process you think? Thanks again! and thats my last question, LOL

ebredhawk Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:18pm
post #11 of 12

i always do the dam, put the filling in, put on the 2nd layer, dirty ice and then let the cake settle. if you're icing in BC, the bulge will get covered up with your final layer anyway. if you're using fondant, just smooth out the bulge that forms after it settles and you should be good to go!

shannycakers Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:39pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much for your help and tips, icon_smile.gif have a great day!! I appreciate your time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%