Cake Stand From Cake Deco Website???

Decorating By l80bug79 Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 7:51pm by l80bug79

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 4

I'm thinking of ordering this stand from cake deco. wanted to know if anyone had it and how sturdy it was. I'm sure it's fine for cupcakes, but I'm looking to use it as a support system in a tall 3D cake. wondering if I should get this or just make my own. my delima is that if i make one (wood would be my choice) that it would add so much weight to an already heavy and tall cake that it would be difficult for me to transport. This is for my first cake competition and want it to be as goof proof as possible. any suggestions are definately welcome!!!!

oh and I was planning on cutting a hole in a silver cake base and putting it on top of the bottom layer and covering it with fondant so that it's not just a silver cake base (got that from the competition "what to do" post) just so you know that i'm not going to a competition with an exposed plastic base. icon_smile.gif I did like that there were little feet on the bottom. read on the same post that the cake base should be elevated.

**i attempted to add the picture, but that didn't work. so here's the website link.

http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=10869&p_catid=103&page=3

Thanks!
Aimee

3 replies
kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 4

I actually have the 5 tiered one in the picture from that same company, but I only use it for cupcakes. It is rather wobbly as is, and I don't know if you would want to add dowel supports between the layers.
Also the circles seems to be thicker than the 1/8th" they are due to the fact that the built up edge adds about another 1/8th". I've not done cakes that need support before, so I'm not familiar with how much support is actually needed for this.
Is it possible to use a pvc type pipe? The kind they use for plumbing in homes?
Hope this helps.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 4

I have this stand too... I used it for cup cakes a few times but I find that the tiers warped rather quickly... oh well... :icon_smile.gif

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 4

thanks for the info. I have my dad making me a stand. wood base and pvc pipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%