Dust Question

Decorating By tsal Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 12:16am by tsal

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 4

I was reading through the posts on luster dust, disco dust, shimmer dust, etc., and I've noticed that many say that the dusts are labelled 'non toxic' but are definitely not food additives so they really should not be eaten (I liken them to play-doh or children's non-toxic markers which won't harm if ingested but not meant to be eaten). One poster said that she advises people not to eat it. I've noticed that lots of cakes on CC are decorated with LOTS of dust (some dragon cakes and some castle cakes are covered completely). Does everyone advise their clients to peel off the parts with dust?

I noticed on an episode of Cake Boss that a child was taking a big sparkly number off a cake to eat and I couldn't help but think if the posts here that say the dusts are really not to be eaten.

I was considering making some dusted flowers for some mini cakes that I'm making, but I feel awkward telling people 'here's your cake, oh by the way, DON'T eat the flowers the coloring is really not to be eaten.' I like to say that my cakes are 100% edible. I have a cake coming up that I have to put a silver border on and I'm a little nervous about it.

3 replies
ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 4

The dust are edible and there is no need to tell your customers not to eat it. It is food safe.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:16am
post #4 of 4

Thanks! I'd hate to have to include a disclaimer with my cakes. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%