Ready To Pull My Hair Out! Painting Difficulties...

Decorating By stacylambert Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 10:01am by ShellsSweetsIndy

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:56am
post #1 of 15

I'm trying to do some painting on a cake and I'm having so many issues I'm about to go crazy.

The idea is that I want it to look like stained glass when I'm finished. I have my design imprinted into the fondant, and after painting I'm going to pipe in the impressions.

Anyway, I can't get anything to go right with the painting. I've tried mixing the lemon extract into gel colors (both Wilton and Americolor), but I keep ending up with concentrated bits of color that won't mix into the extract. It looks AWFUL. I also tried extract with petal dust, but I wasn't happy with that either. It seemed like it was either runny or when the lemon started to evaporate it would get thick and clumpy.

Now, on top of all that, I'm also having feathering issues on the fondant. I'm painting red and green onto ivory so it's VERY noticeable.

What am I doing wrong? Should I give up and try the food color pens instead? icon_cry.gif

14 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:08am
post #2 of 15

ive heard that mixing colors with vodka works? ive never done this tho, never painted anything.. sorry im not much more help! good luck!

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:52am
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

ive heard that mixing colors with vodka works? ive never done this tho, never painted anything.. sorry im not much more help! good luck!

Oh my goodness... I could kiss you!

I can't believe all it took was switching from extract to vodka. It fixed both the clumping and the feathering! I unfortunately need to recover the tier (which happens to be a hexagon... blah!), but at least now I know what to do.

Thank you so much! thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:55am
post #4 of 15

Everything you ever wanted to know about the various dusts:
(Including how to use them.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-54059.html

HTH

noahsmummy Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:00am
post #5 of 15

haha the things you pick up in forums. =) happy to help.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:05am
post #6 of 15

Yep I always use vodka to mix with my gel colours for all cake paintings and never have had probs with it clumping etc thumbs_up.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:27am
post #7 of 15

same here, i always use fondant, and allow each coat of paint to dry before going over it, i usually do several coats to build the colour up rather than trying to get it all in one shot

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:37am
post #8 of 15

I am also definately a vodka and colour girl !

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1569597.html

I recently did the attached cake - I love painting but when I realised I had to repeat it on the other cake and make it a mirror image I was not feeling so confident ! icon_cry.gif I thought about just putting it my left hand LOL!!!! icon_lol.gif

The vodka definitely allows you to control the colour depth and then scull the rest when you have finished to calm the nerves icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif !!!!

Good luck, would love to see a pic !

noahsmummy Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:46am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitmemorable

The vodka definitely allows you to control the colour depth and then scull the rest when you have finished to calm the nerves icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif !!!!

LMAO!!! icon_cry.gif im loving your style! haha. and the fact you did a dutch cake.. well.. it just makes it that much better!! shoulda made a bols...lol

ShellsSweetsIndy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:53am
post #10 of 15

you can also try painting with airbrush colors. No mixing involved and you can layer colors just like gels.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:59am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellsSweetsIndy

you can also try painting with airbrush colors. No mixing involved and you can layer colors just like gels.

....... what ??? and no Vodka ! where is the fun in that !!! LOL Just joking thumbs_up.gif !

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 15

I will still use vodka with the air brush colors too. The higher the alcohol content the better it works! (everclear is my fav.)

Ixtli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ixtli Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:34pm
post #13 of 15

I, too, swear by vodka....

for my cakes too icon_biggrin.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:50pm
post #14 of 15

just realised i said i always used fondant, i meant vodka! lol

ShellsSweetsIndy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:01am
post #15 of 15

LOL! I guess that would take the fun factor out of it wouldn't it icon_smile.gif. I haven't tried the airbrush w/vodka. Will give it a try next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%